Tuesday, March 11, 2008

still working on supply

Thank you all for all the great advice. As I blog this I'm pumping while eating some oatmeal with a side of fenugreek and washing it all down with a beer. Ok not really but I am pumping and drinking some mother's milk tea. As for the other things, I have been eating oatmeal every morning since Hudson was 2 weeks of age. Since the blog last week I've also been drinking beer. I'm not a big drinker and I'm not a huge beer person. If I do drink beer it's usually Cor.ona with 2 limes in it. I know it's the hops in the beer that's important for lactation and I'm pretty sure that Cor.ona isn't too high on the hops list. So instead I'm drinking a beer high in hops, which basically means it's bitter. Also, the last time I had had a drink was before my cycle that resulted in Hudson, so it's been over a year. I was always a light weight but 1 beer now has me pretty toasty. The best was this weekend when I ordered a beer while out to dinner. Hudson was hungry so I was nursing him at the restaurant when the waitress finally brought over my beer - how white trash is that? I actually don't think anyone noticed.

I still haven't ordered the domperidone but that's next. I found several on line pharmacies to order it from. The milk supply hasn't really increased with the beer, oatmeal or fenugreek. I'm also drinking my weight in water. I swear I'm peeing more now than while pregnant.

Hudson has also become really impatient. I think my stretch of working 11 days in a row lead to him getting really used to bottles. Unless I'm totally engorged in the middle of the night, he seems to get annoyed waiting for let down. He wants my boobs to be like the bottle - milk flowing immediately. We use the slow flow nipples for his bottles but that's still faster than the suckling for several seconds before milk lets down. I put him to breast all weekend despite him being quite pissed at times and it's going better but he still gets annoyed. I sure hope the twins are easier to breast feed or at least that R doesn't have supply issues.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

My supply was not fantastic. It was very disappointing. I wanted so badly to be that woman who would squirt milk across the room.

I hope the beer works for you! I think you are doing a great job, though. Still pumping and feeding, all while working and taking care of a partner pregnant with twins! Do you even remember what a good nights' sleep feels like??!!

K J and the kids said...

I'm just throwing this out there....but I heard from a lactation consultant and my ped that all the beer does is relaxes you so that your milk lets down. (I was TOTALLY you drinking a beer WHILE breastfeeding in a restaurant at the table ha ha ha SERIOUSLY)
I think your problem may just be stress. 11 days working in a row. taking on all of the responsibilities that you are. stressing about breastfeeding. that sounds like a LOT for any one to take on.

I leave you with this :

Relax, you move to fast...you've got to let the morning last..just...kickin down the cobble stones. lookin for fun and feeling GROOOVY.

No charge :)

f said...

How is the lightweight doing with the beer these days? Did you decide to go with the Dom Perignon aka domperidone or just wait it out? Know you're busy with everything under the sun - just checking in, hope you're doing ok :-)

charlotte said...

i have heard from a few friends with extensive bresatfeeding experience/issues that the domperidone was the only thing that really made any difference.

Anonymous said...

How's the feeding/supply coming?
You must be quite a site feeding with a beer in hand. Wish I was there to appreciate that one ;)