I survived my first week back at work. It's so hard to leave in the mornings when he's awake and happy (it's a little easier when he's asleep, although then I'm tempted to wake him to say good-bye). When he's awake I find myself sticking around for just one more smile and one more smile after that and then I'm practically late for work every morning.
The weekend was great, I barely let the boy out of my sight much less my arms. R is trying to get him on a schedule during the week and I'm sure I totally ruined it on the weekend...you know letting him free feed on the boob whenever he wants but I just couldn't help it.
So now it's on to week 2 back at work. It's funny, I now really look forward to all my newborn visits, having a newborn at home, it gives me something new to bond with the family about. I knew having a baby would make me a better pediatrician and in only my first week back I'm already noticing how the advice I give has changed. I'm much more empathetic especially about breast feeding (aka - the hardest thing I've ever done). I used to enjoy my adolescent visits more than my newborn visits. I really considered specializing in adolescent medicine but didn't want to totally give up seeing my little ones and I also really enjoy getting to know my patients and their families (something you don't get as much in sub-specialty care, especially not in adolescent medicine). Now, I'm so glad I'm a general pediatrician because I'm loving seeing the little ones (makes me miss mine even more).
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
It's tough but someone has to do it right?????? If Ant gives me half a hint I'm so resigned and SAHM before she changes her mind. Working on it though - about 85% there.
I'm told it gets better......
That's great !
The best part really is you get hands on advice. I mean, you know what's in store or could be in store for your baby.
What's normal, not normal. I mean I know you being a doctor and all gives you the insight, but there is SUCH A wide range in a lot of areas. I just think it would be cool to be in the loop.
Again....it's a damn good thing your wife posts pictures. SHIT !
no pictures on your blog. Seriously ?
It's not like we can get enough of him or anything.
KJ - truely I'm so computer stupid I don't even know how to post a picture (guess I could have R do it for me) and also, I usually blog from work so I don't have access to pics. But hey, that's what my wife is for - she has the link to the pictures.
I don't think anyone could blame you for wanting to get one more smile before you leave in the morning, look at that smile, its so cute, it can make your whole day!!
Hang in there it will get easier, your doing great!!
I wish you were in my area cuz I'm going to be needing a good pediatrician! Sounds like you've transitioned back to work so smoothly- awesome! I love the new look of your blog.
Post a Comment