Going back to work meant that I had to get out of my sweats and put some real pants on. That brought along the realization that I don't fit into any of my pants. My maternity pants don't fit very well anymore - they're just a bit too big and not to mention, I just don't look as cute in them without the big belly. I mean I wish non-pregnant women could wear elastic waisted pants but I think that's too big of a fashion faux pas even for me (I'm not really the fashion conscious type, more the REI clothing and dansko clogs type).
As for my regular pants, even my pre-pregnancy fat pants are a bit too snug. I can button my fat pants (which does make me proud) but I now have the mother of all muffin tops spooging over. I have no abdominal muscles to speak of and with the extra soft skin my belly just kind of hangs like a spare tire. Damm celebrities they ruin the expectations for all of us. How are they back in pre-pregnancy clothes and some even in bikinis 2 months after having a baby? Does a tummy tuck come standard with the hollywood c-section? In case you are wondering what I am wearing to work these days, I went out and bought new bigger "fat pants".
One thing that certainly doesn't help is having a pregnant wife. Somehow her cravings have become my cravings. I'm sure the trip to Den.ny's this past weekend for pancakes that she had to have wasn't the best thing. And of course I had to also get a side of bacon. By the way, who the hell goes to Den.ny's at 6pm on a Saturday night? Did I mention we were totally sober? Also, the nightly cup of ice cream with magic shell probably isn't too good for me either.
As for working out, my plan had been breast feeding. Hello, isn't this supposed to burn up to 500 calories per day? For real, shouldn't the weight just be falling off -hmmm, I guess not with the trips to Den.ny's and the nightly ice cream. I have started jogging again but only on weekends. By the time I get home from work it's already dark out and I don't like to jog in the dark, not to mention it's cold outside. I don't want to join a gym because I really don't want to be away from Hudson any longer than my work day. So I will be with my baby and I will be fat!
I thought as a motivator I would fess up to my weight, perhaps to make myself accountable for the weight. I did allow R to put pics of me doing my shots and then with my heparin bruised belly on her blog, so why not admit it. I started out the pregnancy about 10 lbs above my ideal weight of 135lbs and my weight at delivery was 171. I'm currently 154 so I'd like to lose another 20 lbs. I just want to fit into my favorite jeans again - right now I can only button 2 out of the 5 buttons.
One more thing about the post-pregnancy belly - when will my belly button return to normal? I went from having a fairly deep innie in which you could not see the base of it, to having an outie during pregnancy. It's now back to being an innie but with a very shallow base and it's huge. Huge as in a dime would fall out and I may even be able to put a nickel in it. Please tell me it'll go back to normal.
Friday, January 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



19 comments:
Well, my belly button hasn't returned to normal yet. And this is 7 months post partum! And as far as the celebrities, I remind myself that they have nannies taking care of the kids at night and whenever they need a break. They can work out whenever they want. Maybe you wouldn't mind spending an hour out there jogging if you weren't working all day! Did you see the magazine with the stupid bachelorette on the cover? Talking about her body? It kinda made me angry, because there is so much focus on that crap. I appreciate the struggle, but don't think the emphasis is healthy. She is 5 months PP. Logic says it will take about a year for us to get back to our "normal" weight. Showing some woman in a bikini 5 month PP is just irresponsible.
I like your idea, being home and fat with hudson. The weight WILL come off.Some women drop it after they finish BFing. That happened to a friend of mine. Anyway, I think you have done great so far! And I hope you fit into those jeans soon! I am sure you will, in no time at all!
My belly button is pretty normal again, 5 months postpartum. I have lost the weight and then some but my tummy is STILL not what it was. There will always be a difference, I think. I hate the c-section hangy bits.
Mine is not the same -- I think I'm out of luck in this respect.
Sorry, but welcome to the world of motherhood, in several ways.
First, trips to Denny's (or IHOP) with children at 6:00 on a Saturday night become an adventure of sorts. Its one of those things that you can laugh at while you're doing, and look back upon fondly (I hope) in the future when the kids are older.
Second, after two kids, my belly still isn't what it used to be. I run, I eat right, etc etc and now matter what I do, I have to come to terms with the fact that I've had two kids, and the belly (and belly button) of pre-pregnancy are gone.
But, look what a great thing you've got in exchange for a flat belly...
My belly button is smaller than it was at Riley's birth. I never had an outie but it got pretty shallow and big.
OMG I hear ya on the weight. I have no muscles in my tummy anymore and I have the whole muscle separation thing happening so even if my belly's bigger, it's like it's divided in half. Yuck. I want to work out and eat healthy but I don't want to join a gym either because I want to spend my time with my daughter. I think I might take up jogging too. In the warmer weather--not this awful coldness.
Celebrities can hire personal trainers and personal chefs. They don't have to worry about the weight--people tell them how to lose it and they do it. It's their livelihood to look good so they have no choice. If your job was to look good and you had oodles of money, you could be in a bikini too. And they have lots of time off to exercise.
My belly button still isn't back to normal. My twins are 18 months.
It went back to normal after Syd but the boys did a number. I can only assume that after the next set I will need surgery :) that will never happen.
Let me tell you what is was a LIFESAVER for me. Bella bands. It holds your tummy in, it also allows you to unbutton a couple of those buttons that you still can't get closed on those cute pants...thus stopping the muffin top look :)
PLUS...it goes under your shirts and just gives you the layered look.
TRUST ME ON THIS ! I know what I'm talking about.
KJ- yeah, I love the bella bands. In fact I wore those favorite jeans of mine w/ only 2 buttons out of the 5 buttoned and used the bella band.
I had my third baby a week after you (we were due the same week, but you beat me =) ) and I too have 20 yet to lose. I am hopeful because it has always come off before, it just took to the six month mark. It will happen for you too!
I have had no babies and no experience to base anything on, but I thought I would give my 2 cents anyway. I think you look great for having a baby less that 90 days ago and your baby is one of the cutest babies ever so all in all I think your doing good. Plus pretty soon when you have three infants in your house, you will lose that last little bit so fast because you will be running all day and night!!!
Don't stress it, you look good!!
Don't you just hate those women who go back to work slimmer than before they got pg?????? Then they say it's from feeding.
You look great and hey, you're slimmer than R right now ;)
Seriously, I'm sure you look great!
LMAO Herbsie... thanks for pointing that out!! The funny thing is that I weighed more than Steph when I was just a few weeks pg and she was almost full term!! How depressing is that?????? LOL I am blaming the 3 IVFs I did in one year.
well, you know how old Erinn is, :)
On the weight thing - definitely give it a little more time. For me, around 3 months or so post partum I started having more dramatic loss. At that point I was about 10 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight. Working out and breastfeeding I think helped me lose the add'l weight. I am below my pre-preg weight (at 7.5 months post partum) but not nearly as toned (especially my stomach). It's strange how things have shifted and changed!
Mine isn't completely back to normal yet, either. I had a real innie that became a real outie, and now it looks like a big deep cavern that things go in to hide.
Here's to hoping our navels get with the program.
H. (formerly known as Vanessa)
well, give yourself some time... 2 months isn't all that long yet...;)!
hope you are all well...
j
I'm curious why on the sidebar, you have "My Boy" instead of "Our Boy". I don't understand.
LOL Lexi - to be honest, I'm so computer stupid that I don't manage my own blog (meaning I have no idea how to put pictures and such on here -I just blog, although not very regularly). R is the one who changes the design lay out and who puts the pics - she's the one who put the "my boy". I'm sure she did it without thinking or put "my" boy since it's my blog and not a collective blog where we both write. But not really sure why she put that. Good pick up. ;)
I'm BF'ing triplets and I don't find it melts the weight off. I'm way below my pre-pregnancy weight, but I lost the vast majority of that DURING my pregnancy and quite a bit of that IMMEDIATELY after I delivered. But since then? Not so much.
As for the belly button... I didn't get far enough into my pregnancy for mine to pop out, but I can say that mine hasn't completely returned to my pre-pregnancy state either... and I'm almost five months post partum at this point. I'm not sure how much the triplet-factor plays into that.
I have been ready you and your partner's blogs for some time but now that I'm going through IVF, going back and ready your old posts is almost therapeutic. At least I know that I'm not going totally crazy. I am also a physician (internal medicine) who doesn't like message boards for a lot of the same reasons you quit. Anyway, thanks for the honest blog entries they are helpful for those of us still on the TTC rollercoaster. BTW, Hudson is so SUPER CUTE!!!!
Post a Comment