Monday, October 01, 2007

A pathetic weekend

We had quite the pathetic weekend, spending about 44 of the 48 hours of the weekend in bed. I continue to have frequent contractions and decided to put myself on bed rest for the weekend. Meanwhile R woke up to spotting on Saturday morning. While we know it's normal to spot, especially with multiples, it still freaks R out and thus she too put herself on bed rest. On Sunday, we did manage to get out of the house as we were going a bit stir crazy. We picked up our glider and ottoman for the nursery (the same glider that we'll have to take out of the nursery when it's time to make room for 2 more cribs). The joys of 2 pregnant women, neither one of us can lift. So for now the glider is in the garage still in the box. We'll have to figure out a way to get it in the house - we managed to slide it out of the car and we did push it around some in the garage but no lifting. Then it was back to bed.

As for me, these contractions are driving me nuts. I was really enjoying my pregnancy. I have always wanted to be pregnant and now with R being pregnant with twins, I'm pretty sure this will be my only pregnancy. We all know I hated the first trimester but finally in the second trimester, pregnancy began to live up to my pregnancy expectations. I was loving my big belly and enjoying things like pregnancy yoga. Now every time that I stand up I contract. I have all this energy and there's so much I want to do but I'm afraid to do anything. Other than work, I pretty much am on bed rest. I wanted to be one of those women who works until the day the deliver, now I'm considering going out on disability. Besides the possible financial burden of me going out on disability, I would go crazy being home all day and I would drive R crazy. I think I would obsess over every contractions if I was at home, whereas when I'm at work, I know that I probably don't even feel half the contractions because I'm so busy. I just want these contractions to stop so that I can go back to loving pregnancy. I want to resume pre-natal yoga. I want to clean the house. I want to take care of R who has been a nice shade of green lately. I want this boy to be born around his due date and am petrified that he'll be born early.

I did go see my OB today. I should have had her check my cervix on Friday for piece of mind through the weekend. Instead I had multiple dreams about contracting, to the point that when I would wake up, I had no idea if I actually had contracted or just dreamt about it. So I went in to see her - agg, I feel like such a high maintenance patient. I'm sure she hates to see me coming or to open her e-mail b/c inevitably there's something from me. However she's great and always fits me in. Today she did another FFN which was again negative. She also checked my cervix which is still "very tightly closed" and still thick and high. She's also perplexed as to why I'm contracting so much, so she decided to take a look at my placenta to make sure that it looked ok (especially since this all started after my fall). Placenta looks great! So I basically was reassured that even though I'm having tons of braxton hicks contractions, everything continues to look good. In other good news, I'm still only 20 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight (granted I did start this pregnancy about 10 lbs over my ideal weight). I've been eating tons lately so I was sure I would be up a lot more this time.

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Wish I lived closer to the both of you....I would send my husband over to put that stuff away for you guys....hey what else is he good for.....lol.....hang in there...love you both....Cris

K J and the kids said...

It's your bodies way of taking over for your brain.
Your brain says..lift, work hard, we don't have time to eat right now...your body is saying...sit the fuck down and eat something.
:)
These contractions are your bodies way of preparing itself for labor. It's all part of the process.
It will be over soon. and there will be this WONDERFUL baby boy and you can thank your body for that ! :)

Stacey said...

see if you have someone who can stop by and lift all the things that need lifting. or wait until the baby is born and people can't see the boy until they lift something for you. ;)

braxton hicks can be annoying. glad that the boy is staying put!

charlotte said...

I know you are a doctor and know WAY more about this than I do but I thought I would share my contraction experiences. I was admitted to the hospital at 33 weeks for regular contractions. They released me after a few hours, but I never stopped contracting. LM was born only 10 days early, and was HUGE so thank god he didnt wait until 40 weeks. :) But starting at 32 weeks I contracted every time I got up, sat down, or bent over. They were huge contractions that would seize up my whole uterus, and became increasingly long and painful as the weeks wore on. The worst ones were after I sat up after sitting on a toilet or anything low. The contractions were mellower when I was still, and sometimes stopped for hours and hours but they always returned. I had a 35 hour labor, so they really did NOTHING to my cervix. My midwife said that some people just contract like that. I know it is easier said than done, but it looks like you might just be a chick who contracts like crazy, so maybe you can enjoy the rest of you pregnancy? I don't know. It must be hard to enjoy yourself with a wife in the 2st trimester, too. Fuck. What a pair you two are!

charlotte said...

I meant a wife in the 1st trimester :)

Holly said...

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. Lois was on strict bed rest and unemployed for 8 weeks. I thought she was going to pull her hair out. And she wanted to punch everyone who said "wow, it must be great to hang out on the couch all day!"
I hope the contractions improve.