This week has been better with regards to the contractions. I think hearing that my cervix was still closed on Monday and also having another negative FFN really reassured me. I didn't really have to take a terbutaline pill until today. I had some contractions this morning which is rare - I usually don't contract until the afternoon and evening, so I knew I was in for a bad day. I took a half of a pill in the morning which only helped a little. By mid afternoon it had worn off and I was contracting more, so I took a whole pill. For those that don't know terb makes your heart race and makes you jittery. I'm sure my late afternoon patients thought I was manic. I felt like I was rushing everyone and I had pressured speech. My heart was racing and I felt all jittery - it was like I stole a patient's ritalin and used their albuterol all at once. Fun times!
My contractions today were probably the result of overdoing it yesterday. I felt good and hadn't contracted so after work, I decided to go to Tar*get. I figured I needed to get some things for my post delivery days. First off I keep reading reports that a must have item for the post partum days is a squirt bottle. I didn't think that the squirt bottle that we use to keep the cats off the kitchen counter should be used to mist my girl parts. So I bought myself a pink squirt bottle - pink did seem like the appropriate color.
I then also figured I needed some pads. Who the hell wears pads? I mean I guess I wore them once - as in my first period. I'm sure my mom bought them for me then. I hated them from day 1. I tried using a tampon on my second period and I finally figured it out by my third. Yeah, I know wore pads after my miscarriages but those were bought during a moment of grief and I really have no recollection of buying those. So based on the reports I've been reading on the message boards, I'm going to be having some major hemorrhaging. Thus I figured I needed a box of something called "super". Do I want wings? Those seem like a good thing to have if I'm hemorrhaging. Why are there so many brands - who the hell buys these things except for pregnant women. I must have stood in that isle for what seemed like hours. Several women came by and seemed to know exactly what they wanted. So I ended up grabbing a box of supers and a box of regulars - hopefully that'll do the trick. Any suggestions?
As for the twins - they are now called the pipsqueaks and they are still both alive. R had another u/s today. It's so cool to see how much they grow at this stage. They now have little limb buds and they were moving all around. Both had really strong heartbeats (our RE doesn't give us numbers) but one seemed faster than the other. I'm really hoping that old wives tale of girls having the faster heartbeat is true and we have boy/girl twins in there. That would give "the boy" a brother so he's not the only boy in the house and that would give us our much wanted daughter (not that the boys aren't wanted). If it's girl/girl twins then the poor boy would have 2 moms and 2 sisters - that's way too much estrogen. We've now been released from the RE's office - after over 3 years of seeing RE's, it was bitter sweet to end our relationship with the clinic.
Friday, October 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I am there with you on the pads! I used tampons almost from the beginning- I had my first period in the summer, and I was an avid swimmer- so it only seemed natural. Dylan only wears pads though, and sometimes I'll wear them at night. Wings offer more coverage, and depending on how you sleep, you may want the overnight style?
Thats great news about the little ones!
Sorry, I don't have much advice on pads, but I did want to say this... isn't it amazing that you are going from a family of 2 to a facmily of 5 in a matter of months?! I am so glad the pipsqueaks are growing well & the Boy is already 33 weeks gestation. You girls take it easy! :)
I hate pads too, but post partum honestly you don't mind it -- you have too many other things on your mind.
Check out some of the natural cloth dealies if you don't want the papery diaper feeling. Also, I'm not sure about your hospital, but I had enough supply that they gave me there to last me awhile. Any bag they opened they had to give me, so that was good for the pocketbook.
I'm no help with the squirt bottle because of the c-section, sorry. :)
ok, so this is the time in the hospital when you lay there and act pathetic while your VERY pregnant wife grabs a hospital plastic bag and CLEANS out the bathroom in your room.
You might walk away with enough pads to handle much of your bleeding.
Just a note, the squirt bottle that you will want is not so much a squirt (spray) bottle, but more of a pull top (drink) squirt bottle. You are going to want A LOT of REALLY WARM water to be shot at your girlie parts.
Also, they should give you at LEAST one bottle in the hospital.
I imagine...a pink one is MUCH cuter though :)
Glad to hear that your contractions are slowing down.
Your uterus is training hard for the big marathon coming up soon :)
Pads... Bah... Although I will say this for them - they have actually come a long way since those early teen experiences.
Those ads that go on about how dry they stay? Yeah - it's actually true.
What you want is one pack of the biggest overnight variety for the first week or so, and then you can taper down to slimmer, winged varieties.
Also, pp is right, you want a squirt bottle, not a misting spray. I think most hospitals hand 'em out, the midwives certainly did.
Also, some good old hemorrhoid pads - also for the girly bits.
Okay so I'm one of the few that likes pads. I don't like tampons. But whatever. Pads aren't like they used to be.
I didn't bleed as much as I thought I would.
I recommend some other things:
- Tucks (wipes) because they offer relieve when you're a bit itchy
- Sitz bath which you sit on over the toilet. You have this bag of warm water and you can keep refilling the bath with warm water as you sit there. Very soothing! And cleans the area.
- Epson salts for the Sitz bath
- ice packs to sit on
Those are things I never thought of but my mom was here and ran out to get them for me.
The hospital gave me the squirt bottle and it was wonderful! Might be handy to have more than one if you are going to use more than washroom. It was a pain to have to go and get it if I was downstairs and it was upstairs.
Post a Comment