I'm a day away from 34 weeks. I'm still contracting quite often. While the end of the day is the worse, today I was actually contracting 8 minutes apart during my antepartum testing at 8:30am. The antepartum testing nurse was not too happy. Especially when the buzzer went off and I popped up ready to go see patients. She wanted to try to have my OB see me today. Being a stubborn doctor (we really do make the worse patients), I declined, especially since I have an OB appt tomorrow. However by the time I got back to my office in the other part of the hospital, I was in tears. I was having a hormonal pregnancy moment and was so afraid of having a 33 6/7 weeker. I know that the boy would survive and do just fine outside of me at this point. In fact yesterday I saw a set of twins born at 33 6/7 weeks who were 13 days old but still below birth weight and I kept trying to imagine one of them inside of me. I watched their little movements and I could totally correlate them with the movements I'm feeling inside of me.
But I digress, although I know that a 34 weeker would do just fine, I also know that it would likely mean that I would come home from the hospital without him. That he would have to stay in the special care nursery as a "feeder/grower" likely getting some gavage feeds for a few days or even a week or 2 before coming home and I really don't want that. My time at home will be limited as I have to go back to work and I don't want to be home without my baby. So I took a terbutaline pill and worked through my day. I did finally get a hold of my HR lady and had her map out for me how my leave would be affected (and most importantly my pay) if I went out on 50% disability. I think it's totally doable so tomorrow, I think I'm going to have my OB write me out on disability and just work half days until the boy is born. My OB has been suggesting this since my fall and the start of my constant contractions. This way I'm hoping to keep him in me longer. I also want him to hold off until my mom is here. She can't come until the week before his due date because of her chemo schedule so this boy needs to hold off until 39 weeks.
Things around our house have been interesting to say the least. 2 pregnant women is crazy...way too many hormones, especially the 1st trimester and 3rd trimester combo. R is nauseous all day which makes her cranky. I'm big and uncomfortable which also makes me cranky. Add in some contractions every 5 minutes in the evenings and you get an anxious cranky pregnant lady dealing with a nauseous cranky pregnant lady - fun times! Half way through our bickering we catch on to what's going on and we're able to control it (somewhat). I'm not sure how it'll go with me cutting down on work. I'm hoping that I'll mellow out some because I won't be contracting as much and I'll also be able to take afternoon naps. I'll also be able to do a little bit more for R so I won't be so resentful when she's too nauseous to get herself something from the kitchen and asks me to do so when I'm in the middle of a contraction freak out. However I'm afraid that we'll just annoy each other more if we're both home. I guess we'll see.
Besides the 9 week mark for R this past weekend and the 34 week mark for me tomorrow, this week also marked the 7 year anniversary of our first date. Despite all of our new moodiness, I love you bunches R! I love to reminisce on our anniversaries but all I could think about this year is how our lives are going to change. This is our last anniversary as a family of 2 - next year we will likely be a family of 5. That's so wild but I'm so excited for it!
Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Ugh...I can only imagine the crankiness between the first and third trimester!It's so hard bec. you both need/want the other to take care of each other and dote on each other but neither of you are in that position! You need a thrid wife (to share).
It makes me sad that both of you can't just quit all jobs and sit back and enjoy being pregnant. I know it isn't realistic in life, but still.
I hope you get to stp working and relax a bit and I hope that boy hodls off till 39 weeks. I bet the more you rest the beter the contractions will be. (gosh...I'm sure you didn't need me to teach you that!) I know the boy will be fine at thios point but still, tell him to stay put for at least another month!
Happy anniversary! 7 years! Almost a decade!
I'm impressed - you two are still loving and sweet to eachother and you've got a boatload on your plates at the moment.
Tell that boy to stay put or else. Do threats work with the unborn?
Okay, Boy, you have 5 weeks until your eviction notice, but you may not come any sooner than this. Got it? Sending ((("No Labor"))) vibes your way...
I've been wondering for some time how two pregnant women are managing living in the same household. I've been very needy in this last trimester, and I just can imagine that amplified to the second power.
I saw your recent U/S photos on R's blog. He looks fantastic- you're doing a great job, mommy.
I always like to assure people that I was born at 24 weeks -- in 1972 -- and I'm completely healthy, sure a little obsessive about my own ttc journey, but otherwise top notch.
My thoughts are with you all!
Pam
Glad that you got your 1/2 days.
I hope it's helping.
LOVED the ultrasound pics. SUCH a cute little face.
I'm sorry, I didn't know your mom had cancer. I hope the best for her....and for you keeping that bruiser in for a few more weeks.
Now you get why the last trimester has to be miserable right ? Other wise we wouldn't go through that horrendous process of getting them out :)
Keep up the good work.
One pregnancy can drive a couple crazy but two??wow. I can feel the crankies from here :)
Just remember in the long run you were together for a reason before the hormones and you will get back there again. :)
Update please.
Post a Comment