Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Making plans

I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted. A lot has gone on. First off I started my half days of work this week. So far it's been great! I'm contracting less than usual so I think it's helping. (Don't get me wrong, I'm still contracting quite a bit but yesterday afternoon was better than most afternoons).

We had our baby shower this past weekend. It was so wonderful to finally be able to celebrate having a baby. We've come full circle on baby showers through our infertility journey - from attending them to being to it being too hard (and being too bitter) to attend to emerging from that dark place and once again being able to go to one to now having one of our very own. It still seems surreal to me that in a months time we'll have a baby of our very own and 2 more on the way.

As for the boy, I had a growth scan last week and he's huge. I know that u/s this late in pregnancy aren't the most accurate but at 34 weeks the boy was already estimated at 7 lbs. He's also got quite the large head (but normal looking brain b/c you know my doctor mind was all sorts of anxious when his head was measuring above the 90%). Hmmm...I wonder if our donor had a big head as a baby as big heads can run in the family - there's a detail they don't give you in the sperm donor package (but I'm getting ready to birth a baby I realize head percentiles should definitely be included). So I'm having some gargantuan baby boy with a huge head. Luckily he's still breech so I may not have to try to squeeze his big ole noggin out of my girly parts. My OB doesn't think that trying to turn him is a good idea for many reasons and I agree with her. So after finding out that he's still breech and then hearing about his size and weight, my OB thought it best to schedule a c/s. While I have always wanted to be pregnant and have had many pregnancy expectations (like pregnancy yoga or having a pedicure which I got last week for the first time ever), I have never had my heart set on delivering vaginally. Sure it would be very cool to birth a baby but if it doesn't happen that way then it doesn't happen that way - for me the fantasy was more about being pregnant and then having a baby but not so much the exit strategy. So now we're figuring out a date so that my mom for when my mom will be able to be here since I know she wants to see my with a big belly if possible. Obviously all the planning in the world could mean very little if the boy decided to take advantage of all of the contractions and break free of the womb a bit early. I'm hoping that he'll stay put for 4 1/2 more weeks - is that too much to ask for?

1 comment:

K J and the kids said...

Talk to me in 2 weeks....:) 4 1/2 weeks will seem like a ridiculously long time and why not just get HIM OUT NOWWWWW ! :)
Glad to hear everything is going well.
At 34 weeks both of my boys were weighing in at over 7 lbs......they were both born at 37 1/2 weeks at just around 7lbs. but who knows...yours could be measuring small. You COULD potentially birth a 10 lb'er. What do I know though :) ha ha

When are we going to start taking a poll on what this little guy is going to measure ?
(I also think there should be a prize :)