I had my first really inappropriate patient parent yesterday. I had last seen one of his kids several months ago, so it was back in the days when the white coat could still be buttoned and most people had no idea I was pregnant. Nowadays the white coat does not button and so my big belly jets out and proceeds me as I walk into the room. As soon as I walked in, the dad (who was there with his 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son), goes "Oh my god, how did that happen?". I politely smiled and said hello to the kids. The dad then again, says "No really, how did that happen?". So I look at him, again polite little smile and say well, you have 2 kids, I think you know how this happens.
I quickly log onto the kids medical charts and start showing him his daughter's growth curves. When I mention that she's been gaining weight appropriately, he then looks at me and says "well we know who's really gaining weight here". Again, I smile and try to proceed with the visit. He then looks at my shoes - I was wearing little black wedge sandals with a maternity dress - and he comments "time to get new shoes, I think I'm seeing some swelling of the feet". Finally he seems to ask me a question about one of his kids, I'm half way through answering when his cell phone rings and he answers (mind you I'm mid-sentence answering his question) and proceeds on having a regular conversation. At this point, I figure it's better that he's talking to someone else and not to me, so I get up and start examining his daughter.
He's finally off the phone and now it's time to move on the boy. The little boy has a very serious look and I can't for the life of me get him to smile. I reassure the boy that he doesn't need any shots today and ask him if that's why he's so quiet. The dad interjects and says "no, he's sad because his doctor got knocked up" and then tells his kid "don't worry son, it's not mine". I completely ignore dad and start examining the little boy. Dad again, says, "so really, how did this happen? What it a lunch time quicky?". WTF - who says "lunch time quicky" in front of their 3 and 5 year olds. The funniest thing is that it was a lunch time quicky - I had my IUI done during my lunch break and I came back to work that day. No way was I telling him that.
I managed to finish up very quickly and got the hell out of that room. Seriously did he think he was funny asking me how I got pregnant several times. I feel sorry for his kids, that they have such a clueless ass for a dad.
On a happier note, today I had a patient who brought me in a baby gift. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. She got me some onsies and burp cloths and a baby Einstein classical music CD. I thought it was the most thoughtful thing ever. I totally wasn't expecting gifts from patients.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
I would have SLAPPED the shit out of him, and said..."oh sorry...pregnancy hormones" upon leaving I would have kicked him in the balls and said..."nope, daddy won't be able to father ANY MORE kids...lucky for us"
ASSHOLE !
In the future...I would make sure you have your nurses assistant in there with you. Someone who is warned and can break that shit up.
Sorry !
Congratulations on the present. By the By...your belly looks beautiful. :)
WTF? Are you serious? That guy sounds like a sicko.
It's sad, but I just spent all day in the child psych clinic and am thinking, "Wow, all my patients' parents acted almost as obnoxious as that guy today, and they can't even see that I'm pregnant yet!" I'm really glad you don't have more annoying families like that to deal with. I do feel really bad for the kids in that family. I hope they never end up in the child psych clinic, but with a dad like that, you could see how they could easily end up losing it!
WOW. You were much nicer than I would have been. My pregnant devil horns would have been out! Good job for keeping your cool! Besides he might be jellous that he dosn't get ' lunch time quickies.' I mean would you blame his partner!?
OH.MY.GOD. That is a total asshole father. I can't believe he asked you that stuff, especially the lunchtime quicky. I would've told him that he was being inappropriate. What a jerk. I feel sorry for those kids.
At least you have a good story to tell. That's the only bonus of running into idiots.
What a jerk! People can be so rude.. poor kids.
How sweet about the gift!
What the heck? That is so inappropriate. Maybe he was crushing on you or something. Jerk.
OMG! Does this guy go through his life like that? Wow. Those poor kids.
Boy, THAT takes the cake!
I am an FP and I have 1 really wowzer of a family (15 yo daughter had a psychological pregnancy, if that tells you anything). The dad likes to make comments about my personal appearance but blame them on his daughters (1 supposedly said i had too much facial hair, while the other one reportedly told him i had liposuction...which i didn't, i just lost a bunch of weight after a huge trauma). I can hardly imagine what he'd say if i showed up pregnant...
Anyway...your story is way more outrageous than that and you handled it well. Congrats!
I'm a lurker on your blog and i'd like to also say congrats to you and your wife for the THREE babes you're expecting! Wow...y'all are brave! And blessed!
It blows my mind that some people feel fine saying incredibly stupid shit to other people.
I really feel sorry for the kids! I can only imagine what this guy is like at home.
Post a Comment