Sunday, August 19, 2007

Record setting wife

My wife currently holds the clinic record for most number of eggs retrieved. Egg retrieval yesterday went amazingly well. 47 eggs were retrieved - that's right, holy shit 47 eggs. Of course we all know it's quality and not quantity but there's certainly a bit of comfort when you're starting out with 47 eggs. For the love of god, there has to be some good quality ones in there - at least 1 baby. We got the fert report today - of those 47 eggs, 30 were mature and 24 fertilized. That's more fertilized embryos with this IVF than with IVF #1 and #2 combined (5 fertilized in IVF #1 and 17 in IVF #2). We're hopefully looking at a 5 day transfer - we'll get the call on Tuesday telling us how many are still growing strong and that will be the deciding factor between a day 3 and a day 5 transfer.

In the meantime, I've been taking care of my wife. R's got some OHSS but not as bad as expected considering her E2 level in the 7000's and her 47 eggs. She's most comfortable reclining on the couch and I'm busy making sure she's eating plenty of protein and drinking gatorade to help the symptoms from getting worse. I also went on a bit of a cleaning frenzy today - my first bit of nesting I guess. I'm talking on my hands and knees scrubbing the bathrooms while wearing a mask so as to not inhale fumes. I even took apart part of the shower door to clean the under surface of it.

Ahh, now time for the fun stuff - time to go stick R with the giant PIO needle. Unlike her, I don't have giggle fits when I stick her. Despite icing first, R usually yells - which I hate. She kind of screams the entire time until I get the needle out. I feel horrible for hurting her but I hope I get to do it for the next 10 weeks!

5 comments:

K J and the kids said...

She's a lucky bitch that her wife happens to be a doctor.
I know there's not much to it. However....when I'm sitting there waiting for my wife to stick me with that big ass needle...I'm thinking to myself. "do you have ANY idea what you are doing ?"
"nope!"

I can't believe she worked up 47 eggs. AMAZING over achiever you have there :)

Anonymous said...

Hey now... I don't "scream" or "yell" the whole time... It's just once - like a big "OUCH!!" And then I complain (not yell) "it burns, it burns!!" LOL So yeah... can't you tell the difference???? hehe Thanks for sticking me babe!!

Dee said...

Unbelieveable! 47 eggs! 24 fertilized. I've never heard of such a thing! Good job R!!! Can't wait to hear how things go this week!

charlotte said...

unfuckingbelievable. the eggs that is. she must be exhausted. will the transfer go okay with the ovary situation? you absolutely must must must get a baby or ten from all those eggs. I am so happy for you guys.

Stacey said...

Oh wow! I thought she'd have OHSS with that many! Crazy! Let's hope that a baby comes of all of this! Sounds like there are pretty good odds that at least one egg will develop properly!!! Fingers crossed for you two!