Sunday, June 24, 2007

First L&D trip

I've again been MIA and again it's mostly because we were out of town. My SIL got married and we attended the wedding in Jackson Hole, WY. The wedding was great - a big party! The best part was R in her purple bridesmaid dress. She looked beautiful! Her younger sister even did her make up - it was a whole new wife for a night and she was stunning!!!

This week R's grandmother has been staying with us. It's been great having her here and we've had a busy week playing tour guide. It's also been amusing as grandma doesn't like to turn up her hearing aid too much. It usually goes like this:

R (in a loud voice) - "they're building a new aquarium there"
Silence - as is no reaction
About 30 seconds later - Grandma - "wow there's a lot of construction, I wonder what they are building"
R - " an aquarium"
Grandma - "What?"
R - "an aquarium"
Grandma - "oh"

Grandma also got a special Saturday night treat - an ultrasound of the baby. I have been having several episodes per day in which my entire abdomen gets hard. It's not painful but rather a weird sensation in which my skin feels tight and my abdomen gets hard. It started having mid week and continued through Saturday (it hasn't happened today). On Saturday I also had some very mild cramping. I told R about this and she made me call the advice nurse. I didn't want to use my doctor privileges and thought I'd call the regular advice nurse. When the poor advice nurse asked about my history and heard about the miscarriages and being on heparin, she quickly became overwhelmed. She put me on hold while she called the doctor on call. Turns out the doctor on call was one of our RE's. He only takes regular OB call about once every 1-2 months. Upon hearing it was me, the doctor told the advice nurse to have me call him directly. He reassured me that what I was feeling was normal but he also offered to check my cervix to make sure it was long and closed. Grandma, R and I piled back into the car and headed to L&D - my first L&D trip at 18wks!

My cervix was very long and very closed according to the doctor which was music to my ears. He then did an abdominal u/s. The baby was moving all around. We also got another view at the genitals - definitely a boy! I've gotten used to the fact that I'm having a boy. I still eventually want a daughter but I'm ok with this being boy. I'm starting to feel him and it's cool thinking that my little boy is kicking me. I know grandma loved seeing the ultrasound and we love every peek at our little guy!

4 comments:

Audra said...

I'm glad that things went well for you at L&D. Can't wait to see the next ultrasound of your little guy!

Casey said...

That is so fabulous that you were able to sneak another peek though I am sorry it came with a scare.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things went well. Sounds like you guys have had quite a hectic few weeks!

Jennifer said...

My uterus did that ALL the time. I was freaked out by it but my docotr assured me it was normal, which is the only reason I didn't go to L&D myself. And yes i had the crampiness too. It happened at strange times, like when i was in the car. It bothered me that it wasn't like the classic braxton hicks contractions...it was a sort of hybrid. But still all normal.

Can I also say that I so badly wanted a boy. We had a name picked out and everything. When I found out it was 2 girls, I was so upset. And then the whole cyst thing happened and all I cared about was healthy babies. But still, deep down, I was so sad that there wasn't a boy, cysts or not. And now, all i can say is I can't imagine having anything but two girls.

Can i suggest Atticus for a name?! Not everyone's cup of tea, but that is what we were going to name our boy!