Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Trade ya

I've recently traded one misery for another. My nausea is greatly improved. Sunday morning I was able to walk into the kitchen. That is a huge step! Normally walking into the kitchen would either send me running for the toilet or more often I didn't think I could make it and would throw up in the kitchen sink. It's amazing, I'm cured!

I did however manage to pick up the world's worst cold. I know exactly which kid gave it to me. I'm very paranoid about all the germs from my patients but one day last week this little kid coughed right in my face. There was nothing I could do about it. I was horrified but I couldn't get away. I usually wear a mask around kids that are coughing a lot but this kid wasn't. Well not until I got close to him and asked him to open his mouth so I could look into it. Instead he coughed and I could feel droplets hit my face. Sure enough my symptoms started Sunday - the same glorious day in which my morning sickness resolved.

I am absolutely miserable. I did work yesterday (while wearing a mask). I'm sure nothing brings more confidence to a new mother than to have your pediatrician wearing a mask and sounding like a man (obviously if your pediatrician is a man, that latter part is OK). My throat is on fire and I can't breath, so my voice is quite manly. By the end of the day, I was spent. I had chills and my temp had climbed up to 99.9. I know that's technically not a fever. I spend a great portion of my day telling parents what is and isn't a fever and also that a fever is the body's natural reaction against the illness and is actually a good thing. However when you are 11 1/2 weeks pregnant and just getting this far is a major accomplishment, you freak out about 99.9. Therefore today, I took the day off.

I have been taking Tyle.nol but nothing else. We have a nifty magnet from our OB that lets us know what meds are safe. The safe meds include suda.fed which at this point sounds like the most wonderful drug ever. However, I know that suda.fed makes my heart race and makes me all jittery. I'm not ready to turn my kid into a meth junkie just yet. I don't recommend suda.fed for children under 12 months of age, especially since there have been several deaths in under 6 month olds in the past few years, so why would it be OK for an almost 12 week old fetus. Instead I will suffer and bitch about it to all of you. OK going back to bed now.

6 comments:

charlotte said...

Yikes. Pregnant and sick is hooooorible. I hope you recover soon and enjoy some not throwing up.

amy said...

I know you don't know me but i read you and your partner sometimes. I wanted to let you know don't take the suda.fed. I know they say it is safe but my wife and I suffered a miscarriage after I had taken some for a cold that knocked me on my ass. I tell everyone I know. I know that it wasn't probably the drug but it was my second m/c and I'm convinced that it happened the night i took the med. My heart started racing and it's almost surreal. Anyway, sorry, I know, advice from a complete stranger! Good luck and feel better. Amy

singletracey said...

UGH... poor thing. Complain away and get some rest Doc!

Dee said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. I can't imagine being sick and pregnant. Yuck.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Why oh why do the worst colds visit when we can't take any drugs to help out? I hope you're feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

totally sucks to have a cold while you're pregnant. when i did i coughed so hard i was afraid that i'd either shoot the fetus out or give it whiplash.