Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Falling apart, just a little

Not to worry, everything is OK with the pregnancy. I hit the 12 week mark today and tomorrow I'll have an OB appt in the morning and my nuchal fold u/s in the afternoon.

However today I got some devastating news. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer today. She had a biopsy last week after something was seen on her mammogram. My mom is not the most doctor happy person, so the fact that got a mammogram is remarkable. (She's very healthy. She's 63 and she runs several miles per day, plays tennis several times per week, rarely drinks and has never smoked and thus feels that she doesn't need to see a doctor). We have no family history of breast cancer (as in not a single person on my mom's side of the family - not any of my mom's 9 siblings or my grandmother's 8 siblings or any of their children). This came as a complete shock.

My mom called me at lunch today. She's actually doing ok. She said, "it is what it is and we must face it head on". I of course wanted details - like what kind of breast cancer. Not surprisingly she couldn't remember the name of it or any major details, other than her surgeon told her he recommends a modified radical mastectomy. Luckily she did manage to tell her doctor that her daughter is a doctor and he gave her his cell number and told her to have me call him so he could explain everything to me. I did speak to the him later and got the full scoop. I agree with him about the mastectomy and want him to do it soon. My mom lives cross country, so I'll be there later this month for my little brother's high school graduation. We're hoping he can do the surgery during the week that we're there so we can take care of her.

So I know I'm rambling but I did want to share with you a bit about my mom. My mom came to the US in her late 20's when her company opened a branch here (she's from South America). She met my biological dad (aka sperm donor) and they were together for several years but he split when she got pregnant with me (I've never met him). My mom raised me on her own. While looking back, I know that she struggled for many years to make ends meet as a single mom. She managed to start her own company and made something of herself. It was just my mom and I for many years - she met my "dad" when I was about 10 1/2 and they married when I was 12. My brother came along a year later (she's one of those super-fertiles who us infertiles love to hate - she got pg naturally at age 46). Through everything, my mom has been my number one supported and one of my best friends. I know she'll beat this but I'm scared. I don't like thinking about my mom's mortality. I'm carrying her first grandchild and I need her to be around for many years. Our baby needs her to be around.

12 comments:

amy said...

sorry to hear the news. It must be some relief that you can talk to her doctor and understand exactly what is going on. I hope they can schedule the surgery while you are there as well.

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry. What an awful thing for her to go through. Just hearing the cancer word is scary. I am glad you spoke with her doctor...since your mom wasn't too clear on the specifics. I hoep he was able to reassure you that all would be fine. Your mother sounds like such an inspiration. She also seems like one tough woman. And pregnant at 46??! That in itself is incredible.

kwings said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she pulls through nice and strong for her future grandbaby :) She sounds like an amazing woman.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope the surgery goes well.

singletracey said...

I am sorry to hear about your mom. I can understand the worry that follows that news!

I am so glad you got to talk to the doctor and get the full report and the details. Hopefully they can get the surgery done on your visit.

lagiulia said...

I'm really sorry about that news. I wish your mom nothing but the best. It sounds like she's an extraordinary woman!

Anonymous said...

shit that's really scary! i feel the same way about my mom can just can't imagine how you feel. hopefully the timing will work out so that you can be there with her that week as you mentioned. hopefully it was caught early enough that the masectomy will solve the problem. i'll be sending you and your family well wishes from atlanta...

Casey said...

I am so sorry about your mom. I am sending many good thoughts her way. I'm in the process of losing my 68 year old mother and it kills me on so many levels that my kids are missing out on the grandmother experience. I pray that isn't the case for you and that all goes well and she makes a complete recovery.

charlotte said...

so so sorry that you and your family have to deal with this right now! thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

How did I not see this? I'm so sorry. Please let us know anything at all we can do for you guys to help out.

Anonymous said...

Sending good thoughts your mom's way. She sounds like an amazing woman, and I'm sure she'll beat this thing out of the park.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this.