Thursday, May 10, 2007

1 in 10,000















Today was just so amazing! We had our first u/s this morning at my OB appt (that's 1st u/s of the day but 5th over all for the pregnancy). Everything looked great. The baby is actually measuring 2 days ahead which is great (my first m/c always measured behind).

The much more exciting part came this afternoon with our second u/s of the day. It was done at a diagnostic center and it was the nuchal thickness u/s. Their equipment is so amazing - way better than anything at the RE's office or at the OB's office. They had a big flat screen up on the wall for us to watch. The doctor took all the measurements and showed us all sorts of baby parts (stomach, kidneys, heart chambers, feet, hands, brain, umbilical arteries, placenta...) and then he switched over into 4D. OMG - it was fucking amazing. The baby is only 6cm big (lime size) but seeing him/her on the big flat screen was beyond cool. I'll definitely be doing one of those 4D u/s at the mall later on. So with the nuchal fold thickness measurement (he took several - I guess they average them out but he measured 1.1, 1.36 and 1.44) and the blood work, the genetic counselor we met with afterwards said our risk of a child with DS or trisomy 13 or 18 is 1 in 10,000. I'm thrilled. After yesterday's big news, I could not handle any more bad news.

The 2 pictures above - the one on the left is a head on of the baby (both eye sockets are visible and it's arms are up). It looks like a little alien. The one on the left is a profile shot.

And from the fancy doc -

7 comments:

Casey said...

That's a heck of a beautiful baby you are growing! :)

Jennifer said...

Great great news! A healthy and happy looking little bean! And wasn't it fun to watch the little bean squirming round in there during the nuchal scan??!!

hotomiky said...

That's wonderful news! I"m so exciting for you both~!

Anonymous said...

hi baby! Keep on growing!

Dee said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

charlotte said...

sorry to ask you a question about me in your comments but Carey mentioned something on my blog and I wanted a bit more info so here goes: how far behind did you measure during your previous pregnancy that miscarried? Was it consistently behind? We are having a scare, currently.

I'm so very happy that you continue to get such great news!

Stacey said...

yay! great news!!! and great u/s pictures! the 4d ultrasound is sooo cool! we did it at 30 weeks I think it was--totally worth it. we were on a high for days afterwards, having seen our baby.