Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Big Week - and it's only Tuesday

It's only Tuesday but already it's been an exciting week. First off yesterday marked a huge milestone - as of yesterday, this is the furthest along we've ever made it in any pregnancy. This is my last dead baby milestone! From here on out, it's all a new experience for us.

I then became a huge ass. You know how I've been extolling the virtues of my wife - well she's still amazing and wonderful and taking great care of me. I however am the asshole who put work ahead of her. I took the afternoon off for her FET but forgot to close part of my morning schedule. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking - obviously I was not really thinking. So of course when we finally discussed logistics of getting to the FET, I realized that I had patients scheduled through 11:30 (I held my 12:00 slot). An 11:30 appointment means the patient has until 11:50 to show up before they are officially called a "no show" - so if the patient had shown up at 11:49, I would have had to see them. By the time my nurse roomed them and I saw them (it was a well child physical), it easily could have been 12:15 which was the time R needed to be at the clinic. Basically I said she needed to get a ride to the clinic (she can't drive on Valium) and I would meet her there. Yeah, that didn't go over very well (and rightfully so). R pointed out my complete lack of consideration. I was able to call my patients and ask them to come in earlier. Luckily today I had a no show and then when I finally got a hold of my 11:30 patient, they told me they weren't coming - they changed insurance and I was no longer a covered provider for them. I was thus able to make it home to pick R up and make it in time to the clinic - while it all worked out, I was still a huge ass and R put me in my place (while still catering to my every pregnant whim).

So onto the good news of today. R had her FET today. We thawed out 4 embryos and transferred 3. They all actually survived the thaw and we transferred the 3 best ones. Of the ones we transferred 2 had a 95% cell survival rate and the third had an 85% cell survival rate. You always expect to lose some cells during the thaw and a 50% cell survival rate is what is considered a successful thaw. Needless to say, we are thrilled at how well the embies did during the thaw process. Now, as always, we wait. Beta day is on May 2nd.

We also got another glimpse into my uterus. It was so amazing to see how much the baby has grown. It now has knees and elbows. It was punching and kicking me! We could see the 2 lobes of the brain. We could also see fingers. It was just amazing. To borrow Jennifer's term, I think we're going to have a take home baby!

4 comments:

Dee said...

What an amazing day! Congrats to you both. On with the TWW!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to "preggo-brain." I have a terminal degree, but I swear that part of my brain was sucked away to feed the baby during each of my three pregnancies. It's gotten to the point where I often have to use spellcheck--I NEVER used spellcheck a day in my life before. Not that there is anything wrong with needing or using spellcheck, just that spelling was my strongest of strong suits before I had kids, a real asset in my field. So you MIGHT not be an ass afterall.

Also, YAY! It's so exciting the first time the fetus looks human on u/s, instead of like a blob or a slug. Very surreal. Wait'll you start feeling the kicks and jabs--you think your memory, etc. is bad now? When that starts up you'll be lucky if you remember to do anything other than stand there with your jaw hanging and both hands on your belly :-)

Jennifer said...

Congratulations for passing the last pregnancy mark. That is truly an accomplishment! And so exciting to see little limbs and movement inside of you! You are about 9 weeks away (possibly) from potentially feeling the baby move!! And so very close to the end of the first trimester.

What a debacle with the appointments/driving/valium! Nicole and I dealt with this sort of stuff alot--we constantly had to rearrannge our schedules to deal with my appoitments, sometimes with not-so-great results. Like this last IVF, where she was away on business in Texas for my transfer. Nice. (Of course, I could take a cab home. Or when she showed up late for an u/s and missed the whole thing. The juggling that has to hapen to make these things happen is ridiculous!

That said, this is a very exciting time for both of you! I can't wait for May 2nd!!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And uh, you can always call for a ride. I have a lot of flexibility at work and if you need anything just call. K?