Today is 7dpIUI - that means 7 days of total obsession. The obsession that started mere hours after the IUI with the microscopic inspection of my girly fluids has grown into full psychosomatization of all sort of pregnancy symptoms.
It started on 5dpIUI with cramping which lasted almost all day. We all know that this is too early for implantation. The most likely explanation is constipation but in my head, it was my baby(ies). Today I have been nauseous all day. Once again, total crap...how the fuck can I be nauseous on 7dpIUI. Really, I did a shot of HCG 9 days ago, I haven't been nauseous yet. I have been testing each morning and today was the first morning that my test turned negative. I was using the tests from work which pick up at levels of 30. Thus my HCG level is less than 30 so why the fuck would I be nauseous now and not with levels of say 10,000????
This isn't the first time my mind has played tricks on me. With one of my negative IUI cycles, I gagged every time I brushed my teeth. My mother-in-law said that puking while brushing her teeth was the first sign that she was pregnant. For that cycle, my period was several days away. Tonight I also gagged while brushing my teeth and while taking my prenatal vitamin. Once again, WTF???
If only I was more like the patient I saw last week. A 17 year old girl who came to see me for a sports physical so that she could play a spring sport during her senior year. As part of any adolescent physical we of course discussed sex - she'd tried it twice several months ago "always with a condom". We also discussed her periods - very regular every month with a last menstrual period 1 1/2 weeks before. Then I examined her - when she laid down, there it was. Her bump. The kind of bump where if she was Angelina Jolie or Katie Holmes or Britney Spears she would make cover of People magazine and all the other not as reputable celebrity mags. Hmmm... could it be some sort of abdominal mass (the week before I felt one on a 1 year old kid who turned out to have cancer)? I felt the mass - it was firm up to the level of the belly button. I had her go pee into a cup - the positive line came up before the control line. I had to break the news. Of course she wanted an abortion but I think it's too late. She had no one to talk to so I took into my office and called our ob/gyn doctor on call. They got her in for an u/s the next morning and she's 20 weeks. (I'm not sure if she was able to have an abortion since she was so far along). Obviously very different circumstances but I wish I could wake up and be 20 weeks along.
Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
OMG with that 20-week pregnant girl. That is insane. How can you NOT know you are pregnant?
And I don't think you're crazy with Symptom Watch 2007. Each time I got pregnant, I had some signs VERY early on. Even now, with the twins, I did too. (Then i spent an entire first trimester with not a single sign.) My very unmedical opinion is the body has an immediate reaction to all that is going on. Kinda like a little turblence. Then it all levels out. Some people are very intuned with their bodies...especially women who are going thru all of this.
You are halfway thru the 2ww! days away from testing! Those home tests are evil...even w/ the twins I had such faint faint positives until the day of my missed period. When do you go in for b/w??
Sending sticky thoughts for 1 or 2!!
Also, OMG about the girl. That sounds like one serious case of denial.
But I seriously hope these pregnancy symptoms aren't all in your head! Here's for a sticky 1 or 2! GL!
That is such a sad story. I feel terrible for her. She is lucky she got the news from you and that you could be there to be supportive of her. I hope her mother is as supportive as you were. It's unfair that we are so fertile when we're least prepared to have children.
I can see how it could happen. When you're not obsessed with TTC, you ignore all kinds of physical symptoms, and this girl was actually getting her period still. Poor baby.
Good luck to you, though.
My bosses daughter was 7 months pg before a positive pg test came about. And the reality is it was an x-ray that finally revealed why her stomach had been bothering her. In her defense, at about 8 weeks, a dr performed pg test told her she was NOT pg. Not sure if it was lab error or what, but crazy nonetheless.
I totally hear you on the obsessiveness. You are talking with the queen of reading into the symptoms...I shudder to think what I would have been capable of had I had the same access to resources you do! hang in there...only a few more days till test day...
The TWW is crazy-making and you're not insane for having signs early on. Hey, maybe your body just knows something. Or maybe you're just wanting signs to appear but I'm hoping it's just good, early pregnancy signs. Fingers crossed for you that this is the last TWW and you get a big positive in 7 days. Or earlier cuz that would be nice. I always tested really, really early because I'm impatient. :P
That is crazy! 20 weeks and no idea! It makes me so mad sometimes.
How can you not over analyze ever potential symptom. I'm sending good thoughts you're way. Positive energy, positive energy, stick, stick, stick!
Wow - That poor girl. I feel bad for her...not a place you want to be when you are so young.
I drove myself nutty during the TWW's. I'm not sure how a person's mind and body can play so many tricks. It seems cruel.
Here's hoping nothing is tricking you and that it's all real, real, real!
Post a Comment