Tick, tock, tick tock - time seems to stand still during the dreaded 2 week wait. I feel like the IUI was weeks ago but here I am on day 4 post IUI. I feel nothing. Duh, of course I don't feel a thing - I shouldn't feel anything. From our IVF knowledge, I know that if the egg and sperm managed to find each other and the egg let the sperm in (a much more unlikely process than fertilization via ICSI), that at this point I would not even have a blast yet, much less anything implanting and thus nothing to feel. There is the potential that I have a dividing clump of cells floating down my tubes and into my uterus and that in a few more days it will implant. I will keep hoping for this but by not feeling anything now, it's hard to keep hope alive.
I think I had previously mentioned that the testing that I had done after our last IVF failed, showed that I have a clotting problem (elevated PAI-1 activity - other than a clotting problem, please don't ask what it is b/c it's so complicated that I barely understand it. I have put my best friend from med school who is currently a hematology fellow on the case and am expecting a full report in the next week). My RE had given me the option of baby aspirin which I have already been doing for the past 2 cycles or to move on to heparin. I chose heparin. He mentioned that I would start it at the time of insemination. So on the day of our IUI, I asked him about the heparin prescription. He gave me the prescription but said not to take it until I had a positive pregnancy test. He then gave me a slip for a beta and told me to get a beta in 1 week - as in 7dpIUI. If the beta is more than 5, he said to start the heparin.
While at first I was thrilled that my 2ww would be cut in half, then it hit me. Implantation may not have even taken place by 7dpIUI - so why would I go have a beta done??? I hate seeing those betas of zero. Or worse yet, what if my trigger was still in my system? Then I would get all excited for nothing. Then of course I also wondered if my clotting problem would interfere with implantation. While I have gotten pregnant before and also had a chemical pregnancy and thus I know that those embryos can implant, I didn't have the knowledge of this clotting problem to worry about. So I consulted with my favorite RE, Dr. Google and found plenty of women who take heparin starting at IUI to aid with implantation. Thus I too have started on my heparin. And I have started peeing on a stick (well more like into a cup and then using a dropper to place my urine into the little well on the test) each morning to pin point when my trigger shot is out of my system. So far the test still thinks I'm pregnant.
Getting back to my heparin. I have done a total of 4 shots so far. I already look like R gave me a sound beating. I'm not sure how I will be able to stay on this until November 21st. (Yes, my neurosis also including using a pregnancy calculator immediately after the IUI to figure out my due date). With my 4 shots thus far, I've almost run out of non-bruised tummy fat area. It also leaves a firm nodule under the skin which has given my tummy an unnatural lumpy appearance (not the usual smooth rolling hills of my tummy fat). I will soon be starting on my thighs so that they too have a bruised and lumpy appearance. What's black and blue and lumpy all over? Me!!! And hopefully I will have one big lump in the center of my belly that gets bigger for 9 months! Then I won't bitch too much about anything else.
As for my early test, I will probably go for that beta a few days after my morning pregnancy tests turn negative. I'll keep you all posted.
Sunday, March 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Hoping this is your cycle!
I'm sending lots of positive energy your way!
I have a clotting disorder that required lifetime Coumadin. But I've also done my fair share of Heparin/Lovonox shots. It gets TOUGH finding now bruised areas to shoot up in. I can't imagine doing it for nine months! GOOD LUCK!
You know, I used to look for signs RIGHT after an IUI or IVF. I would examine my niplles to see if they gotr darker at 1DPO. Yes, I am that crazy. Here i am, many days DPO and still no color change! We drive oursleves crazy with Symptom Watch!
I like that you are doing the Heparin. It seems like changes in cycles bring about good things. I hope this clotting thing was indeed an issue and now you are circumventing that.
When do you go in for beta? I don't think I can wait more than 2 days! This wait is torture for me! I can only imagine how annoying it is for you!
In the meantime, I am envisioning a burrowing little embryo(s) and a positve beta for you. November is an excellent time to have a baby!!
good lord that is some S.H.I.T. your baby/ies better be some decently behaved, cherubic little creatures for all the hell you're going through. fingers crossed for you.
I hope all of this bruising results in one healthy baby! Wishing you all the luck in the world!!! I can't wait to read your pregnancy journey!
Dr. Google can be a blessing sometimes. Other times he makes me stress out over nothing. ;)
Oh and if you have a moment, do you think you could check out my constipation post today? I know you might have some advice... :/
ugh sound srough I hope its soo worth it! you're in my thoughts!
Post a Comment