R has this classmate who is from Korea. Her company in Korea has sponsored her to come to the U.S. to obtain her masters degree. She initially came with her teenage daughter and after the first 2 semesters her husband and son decided to come as well. None of them really spoke that much English when they got here - well NY (the Korean lady) did speak a little but her husband and 2 kids really couldn't say more than "hello".
We had had them over to our place for dinner back in November. NY is facinated by gay people. I guess there aren't many "out" folks in Korea so she's learning about gay people and the gay culture and hopes to be able to work with that population when she goes back home. So anyway, we had them over and it was quite a night. NY was the only one who really said anything. Her husband just smiled and nodded the entire evening. Her son also didn't speak much. We were able to get a few words out of the daughter (she's currently attending a local high school and the son is taking English classes in college). At the end of the meal, the husband said something in Korean to his wife who then looked at the left over food on the table and said "it's ok, we take?" LOL - shit there went my lunch for the next day but ah - ok.
Well last night they invited us over for dinner at their house. She had prepared quite the spread of Korean food which smelled and looked delicious. After sitting down and asking about all the food, the conversation hit a lull. Silence. OMG, how much silence is too long? After what seemed like forever, I decided to announce I was pregnant! Shit, I had to say something. NY asked me how far along I was and I replied that it was still very early - only 6 weeks. She then asked if I could already feel the baby?!? Not quite yet. LOL.
We muddled along the rest of the evening. I'm not quite sure about everything we ate but I'm a pretty adventurous eater so it didn't matter. Most of it was pretty tasty. There was a big plate of fried shrimp in front of me so I kept eating the shrimp. I noticed that they also ate shrimp but when I looked on their plates afterwards there was nothing. I realized that they ate the entire shrimp. So as not to be rude, I started quickly eating the pile of shrimp tales on my plate. There was also a meat dish that had pieces of bones it in - like ribs cut into slices so that you had 3 coin shaped peices of bone in the thin slice of meat. R and I both cut the meat leaving the fat attatched to the bone. When I looked on their plates, I noticed that they had sucked the bones clean. All that was left on there plates were the actual little coin shaped pieces of bone not the fat and some meat in between the bones. Again, not to be rude, I then started sucking my bones clean as well. I was so appreciative that my nausea didn't kick at that moment otherwise I would have lost it right then and there.
The husband and children all have progressed in their English skills. I tried to talk slowly for them but R said that somehow I ended up speaking slow and with some sort of fucked up fake British accent that made me sound snobby.
After dinner we were served some sweet rice drink with what looked like maggots in the bottom of the glass. R and I politely sipped it. They all gulped it down and then ate the maggot looking things. R and I definitely lost this challenge on the fear factor like portion of dinner.
After dinner, NY looked at all the left overs and said,"you take". I tried to say no but again, I didn't want to be rude, so we left with a bag full of Korean leftovers and a big tin of "Korean snacks" that she had prepared for R.
It was actually a great evening and an even better drive home because we couldn't stop laughing. R mostly laughed at my new fucked up accnet. She also couldn't believe that I sucked the bones and ate my shrimp tales.
Ahh, now only 1 more sleep until the u/s (you didn't think I was going to have this long ass post and not mention the u/s, did you?)
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
You are brave to suck it up and eat all that stuff! That is pretty funny. Have fun at your ultrasound!
OMG! Too funny. I can't believe you ate everything and didn't get sick because of your current state! GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!!
sounds like an educational dinner
better post quick about the u/s. a lot of people are hanging here.
sophia aka Journey to an Ewok
Wow, you are the consumate guest! My brother BBQd chicken with bones, and I can't even eat tha! Nicole has to cut the chicken off the bones and I can't watch. But she wasn't there so I had to suffer thru it. I am so so picky and such a disappointment to my meat-eating family! (chicken and turkey are pretty much the only meats I eat. Boring, huh?)
GOOD luck today! I am excited to hear if it is one or two sacs! Please post ASAP. I will bein class, but I will be checking maniacally!
hahaha.. you are a great guest! I cant wait to see the results of the U/S!!! I will be checking constantly for your update....
looking forward to hear ur result of u/s.
You are a very courteous guest...now tell us what we want to know! What happened on the ultrasound!!!!! ;-)
I think the sweet drink had tapioca pearls in the bottom, they look slimy and can be tiny or huge but they are pretty common if I am not mistaken, and pretty yummy.
Congrats also, I am so thrilled for you both.
Nope they weren't tapioca pearls - I actually like those. I think these were some type of rice thing but they were gross looking and the drink was also pretty gross (and I like sweet stuff and will eat just about everything).
Post a Comment