Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A speculum in the ear

My most demanding patient would have to be my wife. Last night she mentioned to me that her ear had been hurting her and she wanted me to take a look. I had to charge my otoscope so I could look in her ear. Of course we forgot about it until we were in bed. Once I was all warm and cozy, that's when she insisted that I look in her ear. Being the good wife that I am, I dragged my ass out of bed to gather my tools. Before I could even look in her ear, she starts her whining - "don't put it in too far", "it's going to hurt", "no don't do it". She made me get out of bed, I was now determined to look in her ear. Of course her ear ended up being totally normal but she freaked out when I put the otoscope in her ear and started giggling like a 5 year old (in her defense the only ear speculum that I had at home was a small one and thus I did put in quite far) and also when I insufflated (shooting a little puff of air into her ear canal to check for the normal movement of the ear drum). She was also majorly amused by the fact that those little things that go on the end of the otoscope to look into one's ears are called speculums. Apparently she thought that was a word reserved for the device used to look in one's vagina. See even you are are not actively cycling, you still have speculums stuck in you.

In continuing this week's theme of bitching about patients, I had this mom several weeks ago who was very upset because my rooms were not stocked to her likings. I must have been running a few minutes behind because when I walked in, she told me "Dr. F, I have one complaint. In the old days you would take your kid to the doctor and if you had a cut on your hand you would take a few band-aids while you waited and some packets of vaseline for the diaper bag or anything else that you needed. But your rooms have nothing useful and it's very upsetting. I have gone through all of your drawers and I couldn't find so much as a diaper or band-aid". I honestly thought this mom was joking - are you fucking for real? (And there were diapers in there, she just didn't look carefully enough) To make matters worse, she was really upset and kind of yelling at me for this. I tried to calmly explain that in the interest of keeping insurance premiums down and to provide good health care my rooms are stocked with the items that I need to practice medicine and not necessarily the items that she currently needs to stock up on. I seriously wanted to point her down the street to the nearest walgreens. I did ask her if she had a cut and told her that I could go get her a band-aid but she said no, she just wanted some band-aids for her purse. OMG- are you fucking for real lady? I just can't imagine her nerve. Am I way out of line here? Do you all expect this kind of shit when you go to the doctors office?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey now... it doesn't feel good to have something shoved in your ear when your ear hurts!! And that little puff of air bit freaked me out... like when you get your eyes checked and they shoot a puff of air in your eye...I hate that!!!!!

Unknown said...

You're not nuts -- the mother is! This made me laugh out loud. The only thing I expect to get for free when I go to the doctor's office is a long time in the waiting room.

Great blog.

Anonymous said...

OMG NO! What a crazy lady! I don't know how your surgeries are organised there, but in our country there are sometimes documents/ information about other patients- what about patient confidentiality?! Maybe you should secretly set up some mouse traps next time she comes in and in case goes snooping.... ;)

Anonymous said...

I've been "lurking" on your blog because i'm and 'infertilefamilydoctor" (but i don't have a blog)...

Anyway, delurking because i just have to say i find the behavior of that patient's mom APPALLING!! Maybe it's because i live in Montana and people are very reserved here...but i've never heard such a comment nor have i ever thought of (or had my parents suggest when i was a kid) rifling through the docs drawers and then complaining about what is there or not!! It's akin to rifling through someone's medicine cabinet (which supposedly about 80% of people admit to in anonymous surveys) and THEN complaining to your host about how it's stocked!!

APPALLING but sort of funny at the same time.

I hope either you or your wife gets pregnant and has a nice healthy baby very soon!

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Edited to clarify...i hope one of you gets pregnant soon and then has the baby at the appropriate time thereafter--not TOO SOON!

Anonymous said...

um, no you're not crazy. although i will admit, i have thought about looking through the drawers at the dr.'s office but then thought that it would be wayyyy too embarressing to get caught. my motivation was not to stock up on anything, or to steal, just to be nosey.

*G* said...

Wow, people never cease to amaze me. I can't imagine being so bold as to complain about not having bandaids to stock up on, especially if they aren't even needed at the time!

Like you blog, and I've added you to our blogroll. Hope you don't mind.

charlotte said...

What a nutter. I experience the same weirdness as a therapist. People have some CRAZY expectations. Honestly though, I do expect (maybe appreciate is a better word) my doctor to give me a free sample or an extra piece of gauze SOMETIMES, for a related-to-my-visit injury or problem. But admitting she was trying to steal shit? Why can chicks like that breed for free???

Stacey said...

Wives always wait until you're nice and warm in bed before asking for something. ;)

That mother is so stupid! I can't believe she thinks she deserves free stuff from your office. WTF?

AJ said...

Wow. What a crazy woman! People are always looking for a handout these days!