Monday, February 12, 2007

Now just waiting - for real this time

I'm once again back to waiting for my period to show up. No, not like I was 2 weeks ago, when I was merely hopeful that my body would do what it's supposed to do. I just finished my 10 days worth of progesterone, so now a period should really come. It can take anywhere from 2-14 days but I'm guessing it'll be in the 3-5 day range. My last pill was Saturday afternoon.

I know that I'll be starting soon because this morning, while watching the today show, I cried. They had a story about some guy who was sky diving and both his parachutes failed. He had a camera strapped to his helmet, so on the way down (just before hitting the ground) he said "oh *bleep* I'm going to die, bye" and you see him wave his hand good-bye in front of the camera. I knew that the guy lived since he was sitting on the today show couch waiting to be interviewed, yet this was enough to bring me to tears - a good sign indeed.

One quick gripe about work before I start my day - this one happens several times per day. It's minor - nothing like the crazy lady wanting to steal shit - but it's still kind of annoying. When taking the history on any sick patient, I usually ask if the child has had any fevers. Often times the parent will reach over and touch their child's forehead and give me an answer based on that. Hello - my nurse just took your kid's temperature - I didn't mean right this second. It usually goes something like this:

Me: So just to review, Kaitlyn has had 5 days of cough, runny nose, throwing up and some diarrhea. Has she had a fever?
Mom: Kaitlyn, come here (feels Kaitlyn's forehead) well she feels hot now
Me: my nurse just took her temperature - it's a normal 98.8, has she had fevers at home?
Mom: well she's hot now.
Me: yes, she may feel a little warm but her temperature is actually normal. Has she had any fevers at home?
Mom: No, this is the hottest she's been.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Good luck with Aunt Flow's arrival.

That video sounds so strange! Wish I had seen it. How did he survive?

Your work stories crack me up. People are so stupid and when you work with the public, you really get to see that. I don't miss working with the public... ;)

Dee said...

Good luck! I'm so keeping my fingers crossed for you!

What a funny work story! Totally made me laugh.

Can I ask you a question and maybe you can respond to my blog or via email at stampwithdee@yahoo.com.

As a pediatrician, have you ever treated a newborn born with a Cystic Hygroma? If so, what is your experience? How problematic can this be to a young child? I'm just looking for information. Thanks!

charlotte said...

waiting sucks, and people are so dumb.