Not much is going on on the TTC front. I'm currently on CD 37 and on my 5th day of the progesterone. I'm supposed to take 10 days of the progesterone and then wait for my period 3-14 days later. R is also just waiting for her period. She's 2 1/2 weeks post her D&C. She had a beta done on Friday which came back at 44. We also received the chromosomal analysis on the tissue that they got from the D&C. It was chromosomally normal and it was a girl. Now there is the chance that some of R's cells contaminated the sample and that the chromosomally normal girl is actually R. I guess we'll never really know for sure and I guess I'm ok with that.
Since there is nothing going on with our reproductive parts to report, I thought I'd take this time to bitch about work for a while. It's not so much work that I want to bitch about but rather some of the clueless parents of my patients. In an effort to not write a small novel today, I'll share with you one thing that drives me crazy each day this week. Here's one that occurs on a regular basis.
Cell phones - For the love of god, put down your cell phone and don't answer it while we're talking or during the 5 minutes in which I'm examining your child (and don't forget to put your phone on silent mode. I just love it when the "conscientious" parents who don't want to be rude and answer the phone decided to ignore their phone and just let it ring - all 5 choruses of "I'm bringing sexy back" while the 5 year old sings along. It's even better when it's a rap song and the 5 year old is singing "bend over and show me what I'm working with"). I also love it when parents are on the phone and when I go to ask them "so what brings you in today" they say "hold on the doctor is trying to talk to me". Then with the phone still pressed against their ear, they answer my questions and then when I put my stethoscope in my ears to start examining their child they go back to their phone conversation. I can barely hear their child's heart and lungs over their phone conversation - "Did you know that Tina broke up with Josh - lub-dub, lub-dub (heart sounds) - yeah, he was cheatin on her - deep breath in and out". Afterwards, I again have to "interrupt" their phone conversation to tell them about their child's pneumonia which they promptly share with the person on the other end of the phone. It usually goes something like this:
Mom: (talking away on the phone)
Me: excuse me
Mom: hold on the doctor is trying to talk to me again
Me: well after examining little Sally, it sounds like she has a pneumonia
Mom (to the person on the phone): OMG, Sally has a pneumonia
Pause while the person on the phone reacts to the news
Mom: how did she get it? Was it because her dad let her go outside without a coat on?
Me: no, it most likely started with the cold that she had last week and has now organized into a pneumonia in her lung. Going outside without a coat on did not cause this.
Mom (to the person on the phone): My baby is sick
Mom (to me): can you write me a note so that she doesn't have to go to her dad's this weekend because I know she got the pneumonia from him.
Me: no I can not write you a note for that. Sally will need to be on antibiotics for the next 10 days which does mean that you'll have to take the antibiotics to her dad's house so that he can continue to give them to her.
Mom: Well I know that he won't give them to her, (then to the person on the phone) - do you think her dad will give them to her?
Another pause
Mom (to me): yeah, she doesn't think so either, can you write me a note saying that she has to stay with me this weekend because she needs medicine?
(I then glance at my schedule on the computer (we have computers in all the rooms and it's all on electronic medical record, I realize that I'm now running 20 minutes behind b/c this conversation is taking longer than expected)
Me: I have electronically sent her prescription to the pharmacy. Here's a letter that states that she needs to be on the antibiotics and what signs and symptoms to bring her back for. If her dad states that he can't give the antibiotics (twice per day) then she should stay with you.
Mom: (to the person on the phone) Let me call you right back
Me (in my head): fucking finally!
Mom: here, can you talk to her dad and tell him all of this? She hands me the phone.
Me: well it's all in the letter that I just gave you, I think that should do the trick.
Luckily his voice mail answers
Me (seeing my chance to be done): I think that about does it, have a good day, I hope Sally gets better. If you have any concerns don't hesitate to call or make another appointment (in my head - please don't)
By the time I am opening the door to see the next patient in the next room, she's back on the phone.
And yes, we do have multiple signs that ask parents to please turn their cell phones off while in the exam rooms.
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
People can be so fickle!
Good luck to with your upcoming cycle :)
i love it! i had to pause the View that we tivoed because melanie wanted to know what i was laughing at. people are so friggin stupid! my best friend is an internal med doc and i get similar stories from her all the time. they never get old though. please keep posting these kinds of stories!
Geeeeesh...and I was afraid to call my boss to tell her I'd be late to a meeting today while wating -for 45 minutes- to see my doctor. I thought there was some kind of no cell phones in drs offices just like at hospitals.
That would make me crazy!
OMG People and their cell phones! So rude! That is so funny that the mother likes to downplay the dad right in front of the kid.
Post a Comment