We had our ultrasound today because the clinic needed to submit their 2006 statistics and needed to get us in. I was actually a bit pissy that they asked us to come in a day early. I had already had part of my scheduled held for Thursday. I had to scramble to cancel some of my patients for today and rearrange my schedule because I would be dammed if R was going to have to go through the u/s alone.
So I finally get out of work today and we get to the RE's office only to be told that he's running about an hour late (he rarely runs late). Poor R was so anxious today and she had to wait another hour. I was so tempted to do the u/s myself as we sat in the room with the machine (the dildo cam machine).
When the RE finally came in and inserted the wand, we immediately saw the sac in the uterus. This was a big sigh of relief as I know that R had some concerns about an ectopic. The sac looked to be a good size (bigger than when I was pregnant and had an u/s at 6w3d). But it took a while to find anything in it. Finally the RE pointed to a smudge in one corner of the sac and declared it to be the fetal pole. My eyes then fixated on the smudge, searching frantically for the flicker. Where the hell is the flicker??? I think everyone in the room was holding their breath. Both of the IVF nurses/case managers asked us if they could be in the room - so it was a standing room only crowd and we couldn't see the freakin heartbeat. Finally, we saw it. It was brief - only a few seconds before he lost it. However it was enough time for one of our IVF nurses to yell out "I see it" as she pointed to the screen while at the same time I muttered "ooh, ooh ,ooh, there it is". Our RE agreed that we had all seen the heartbeat. One of the IVF nurses missed it because she wasn't looking at the screen so he tried to find it again for her. Our RE searched for a few minutes and once or twice we thought that maybe we saw it but weren't really sure again. Our RE said it was just the angle. That the fetal pole was kind of squished over to one side and that's why we couldn't see it.
He then debated on when to repeat the ultrasound. I managed to interject and we walked away with 2 more u/s. The next one will be on Saturday at 6w6d and then on Tuesday at 7w2d.
I'm still feeling quite confident that this pregnancy will be successful. R seems to be a bit more stressed but that's why we're a good team. We balance each other out.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
You know, my dr. still loses the heartbeat during my u/s and I am 17 weeks. The she pokes and prods a little more and suddenly can't get it back sometimes. It seems like an inexact science. And it was the same at my ultraosound at 6 weeks...a brief glimpse at a flickering thing and then it's gone. Didn't hear it. And it lasted all of, what, 10 seocnds total. A quick, "all looks well, and that's a heart." Wand out, gloves snapped off and see you next week. Good luck on saturday!! A few days makes such a differnece at this stage!
Congrats, great news!
I hope you read your comments! I just wanted to thank you for all of your comments on my blog. And your research. It's dangerous that you are a pediatrician in this world...you are going to be mobbed with "My baby is wheezing" and all sorts of other things! Your comments made me feel better and did indeed reassure me. I've been all over the internet and try to muddle my way through those medical articles and journal studies, etc. And I keep seeing that this can be just fine. And then I see that it can be bad. All the medical research I read is just so conflicting and ambiguous. I guess that is your world of science, right?! Anything you found that you want to email me, I'm happy to accept. (niffernet@mac.com) Thanks you so much again for your support and kindness. It means so much. Oh, and good luck with saturday's scan! Please update asap!
Post a Comment