Saturday, December 09, 2006

It's going to work...but just in case it doesn't

Things are continuing to go well. R is miserable as she has about 30 follicles in all and her E2 level is in the 5000's. Poor thing has been unable to sit upright in a chair for the past 3 days - she's only comfortable laying down or reclining. 30 follies sounds great - that's 10 more than she had last time. But last time they got a bunch of blood out of some of the follies due to her endometriosis and only got 12 eggs. Of those 12 only 6 were mature. So last time 20 follies equaled 6 eggs. We're hoping for better numbers this time around. So far, things look promising.

We triggered last night which is an event all in itself. R is terrified of IM shots. I think that's part of why we did not transfer into her last time - she's afraid of the PIO shots. We were having dinner last night with friends when it was time to trigger. We proceeded on providing quite the show for our friends with R giggling nervously and running away from me with the needle. Who knew that she could run with a belly that looks like she's 4 months pregnant from all those follicles. After about 10 minutes, I was finally able to get her to stand still and stick her. Tonight we start the progesterone shots - that should prove to be interesting.

So I've told you all about my new found positive attitude. How we're convinced it's going to work. Well this week we freaked out because we are convinced that it's going to work. OMG - what if we end up with quads?!?! Who the fuck wants quads?!?! Are we freaking nuts to think about transferring 2 into each of us? Mind you last time we transferred 3 into me and I'm obviously not pregnant with triplets, or even with one baby for that matter. But this time it's going to work. My latest plan is to do 2 into me, since I really want to be pregnant and 1 into R since she doesn't want to be pregnant. Transferring into her is just as an insurance, in case my uterus decides to get rid of the baby again (insert watermelon seed spitting noise). If we had unlimited funds like Brooke Shields, who did 7 IVF's, then we would only transfer into me.

I'm hoping that we get to blasts. If that happens, then I think we'd transfer 1 into each of us or again 2 into me and 1 into her. Our RE said we should do 2 blasts into each of us. Is he fucking nuts??? I'll do that, if he's planning on adopting our 4th child. I don't even want triplets. I just want this to freaking work. I want to do whatever will maximize our chances. Speaking of - anyone have any thoughts on assisted hatching. Our RE said it's up to us if we want to do it. WTH - he's the expert. But he treats me as a colleague and lets me make the decisions. I don't know. All I know is that AH slightly increases the rate of identical twins. Identical twins would be cool, but not if there are 1 or 2 other babies on the way for us.

Now today, I'm thinking about how we put 3 in me last time and none took, so why wouldn't we go for it. Why wouldn't we put in 4 - 2 in each of us? I just don't know what to do. We have a few days to decide. ER is tomorrow, embryo transfer should be either Wednesday or Friday depending if it's a 3 or 5 day transfer. So here's where you come in...HELP, I need your advice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

personally, i'd put 2 in each of you ladies...risks aside I'd just want it to work this time...but my wife tells me I can get carried away sometimes...assisted hatching if it increases the odds I'd do it...

Mama2BandT