Thursday, November 16, 2006

Silence in the Waiting Room

R and I both had our ultrasounds this week and all everything looks great to start this cycle. We both start lupron tomorrow. I must admit that I'm really excited to start sticking myself tomorrow night. It means that things are finally starting again! That we are finally doing things again to get pregnant and not just talking about our next cycle! I know we've been doing other things like acupuncture but that just doesn't feel very proactive. Nothing says proactive like jabbing a needle into your own stomach... and I'm actually excited about that! Man, this IVF thing really changes one's perspective on things.

So I'm sure everyone has notice how nobody talks in the waiting room at the fertility clinic. Never mind talking, people don't really even make eye contact. Everyone just looks down or buries their nose in a magazine. Occasionally I catch someones eye and they offer some pathetic half smile. WTF??? I know no one is happy to be there. In fact, I'm sure we can all agree that it sucks to have to go through infertility treatments. I mean no one likes to have more intimate moments with the dildo cam than with an actual dildo (or a real live penis for my straight audience out there). But for real, we're all going through the same damm thing.

On line people share all sort of details like their cervical mucous and bleeding/spotting. We talk about all sort of lab results including husbands' sperm counts and intimate details of our inner plumbing (hysteroscopy results). Yet in person we can't seem to say 2 words. The one time R did break the silence and talk to someone, it was a woman who was actively having a miscarriage several weeks after IVF and was there for her ultrasound to confirm it. While that was a horrible conversation to strike up, R was able to share with her our miscarriage experiences.

Since we're going to be at the the RE's office quite often in the upcoming weeks, R has decided to try to talk to people in the waiting room. We'll see how our little social experiment goes. Any thoughts???

No comments: