So last week I was seeing this absolutely adorable baby for a well child visit. I remember wondering if my baby would look like this one - she had reddish hair and big green eyes and seemed to resemble some of my baby pictures. Just then the mother starts on this whole big speech about how wonderful it is to have a child. She mentions how she was finally ready for a child and decided to get pregnant and how easy and perfect it all was. Of course wanting me to share in her joy she then asks me if I have a child. I smile politely and give her my standard response of "not yet". She then proceeds to tell me how when I'm ready it will be just the most wonderful and magical experience ever. Well I just couldn't bite my tongue. The whole encounter had already been too much for me. And even though the little voice in my head that represents my wife was telling me to keep my mouth shut and just finish the physical, I couldn't...and yes, I went there.
I responded to her comment about being ready by saying, that I've been ready for several years but that I have infertility problems. I then rejoiced in watching her scramble to figure out what to say next. It was my slightly sadistic moment, and I loved it. I must admit though, she was able to regain her footing pretty well. She said a good friend of hers had gone through IF problems and that she knew how difficult it was. She said her friend now had a baby through IVF. At that point my wife's voice won the battle in my head and I smiled and nodded and sent her and her cute baby on their way to get their vaccinations. I didn't have the heart to tell her that my IVF failed just a few weeks ago.
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
perhaps IVF #2 will be the one... I'm glad that you have my voice in your head!! LOL Love you babe.
You know, I hate getting those questions, and it's almost holiday season / family get-together time, so let the Inquisition begin! :P
Of course, I'm lucky enough not to get it at work, like you do. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking, badgering people about reproducing, when they know NOTHING about you or your situation. >:(
Post a Comment