Thursday, July 10, 2008

Little things to remember

Time seems to be passing so fast. I can't believe that Hudson is already 8 months and Bennett and Kate are 3 1/2 months old - that's just crazy to me. I'm so afraid that I'm going to forget these early stages with the kids. It's already hard to remember what Hudson was like when he was Kate and Bennett's age. We have hundreds of pictures (yay for digital photography and a pregnant R who took daily photo shoots of Hudson while on modified bed rest) but I guess she should be more diligent about videos. Here are a few of my current favorite moments that I never want to forget:

  • The way Kate looks at me - I could stare at her for hours. Kate is very expressive. She looks at you with the most adoring eyes. Her smile is amazing yet her sad face is equally amazing. Sometimes I let her cry for a few minutes (ok more like seconds) before comforting her because I think her frowny face is so adorable. Sometimes when I offer her the pacifier she makes a "yucky mommy" face like the pacifier is utterly disgusting and it's beneath her to suck on such a vile object.
  • Bennett is our little grunter/groaner guy. He often time seems to have trouble getting comfortable and is often making barnyard animal noises (some of his grunts and groans sound like goat noises). However after his bedtime bottle, when his belly is full and he's ready to go down for the night, he finally relaxes. My favorite time with Bennett is holding him after that feed and before laying him down in the crib. He's just so chubby and snuggly (and finally relaxed). I love it and if I didn't want to get to sleep myself so badly, I don't think I would ever put him down.
  • These days Hudson is so interested in everything that's going on around him. He's easily distracted while eating and would rather see his surroundings than nurse. However when I nurse him before putting him down for bed at night he frantically searches out the breast and snuggles in to fill his belly before nodding off to sleep. I love this quiet time with him because he finally focuses on just eating and he is just so content to be with me. I also love the mornings. I wake him up around 7am - He's usually kind of awake and just laying in his bed when I go into his room. After a quick diaper change, I nurse him. He starts off the nursing session quite groggy and almost like he's having his morning coffee, once he empties one side, he perks up and sits up and starts talking. He eventually goes for the other side but that second side takes a while because he stops to chat with me every few seconds. I love watching him come to life in the mornings.

4 comments:

K J and the kids said...

Well Hellooooo there.
I'm so glad you blog this stuff. It will always be here to remember.

There are times that I will sit and think, I'm going to remember this forever. I of course don't and can only hope that while falling from a cliff or plane to my death it will be one of the memories that flash through my brain.
OR maybe while lying in a coma, when I'm off, gone someplace else, I will be living in the memories I keep trying to place and then misplace in my head.

(clearly I'm watching too much Trauma Life in the ER)

Dee said...

All very sweet stories. So sweet! I'm also afraid of losing moments so here's my secret. If I have minute and don't feel up to a full blog I quickly capture my thought or memory as a new post and save it as a draft. I usually don't always go back and finish it either but at least I've documented it quickly for my memory.

Jess said...

What sweet moments. It is amazing how fast they grow and how much slips away despite trying to remember it all. Luckily, the old memories are replaced w/ just as cute and perfect memories.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it heartbreaking how quickly they grow up and how quickly you forget.
I so wish I was able to nurse Shaun. He's so independant these days that he won't even let me cuddle him for long - I miss those days.