It's been almost a month since my last post. The troops have come and gone and I've been off of work again for another 2 weeks (1 week left) and yet still no posts. I've actually been considering ending this blog (lest you think I already have). I started this blog when I was in a dark place as an outlet for all the socially unacceptable thoughts running through my head. But in the proverbial "if you build it they will come" way, I soon ended up pregnant and now here I am as the "infertile pediatrician" mother of 3. I will forever be the infertile pediatrician - being a mom to my trio doesn't negate the 4 miscarriages or 3 years of infertility that R and I went through together. And really, I'm not about to change my blog name, although pediatrician mom sure has a nice ring to it. So for now I will continue to blog, albeit infrequently at times.
The babies are all doing so well. Hudson is 7 months old which sometimes feels like a lot and other times I can't believe he's only been in our lives for 7 short months. I can barely remember life without him. It seems he's had our hearts forever. I LOVE watching him grow and am fascinated by his development in that cliche-ish way that all moms are. I'm still breast feeding! I feel that I spent most of the first 6 months stressing about my supply but here I find myself at 7 months, still going strong with a son who is thriving on my breast milk and just for a second I have to stop and celebrate that as a milestone.
Bennett and Kate are now 11 weeks old (5 weeks corrected for prematurity). We're emerging from survival mode with them to starting to really enjoy them. They are starting to coo and smile and it's just about the best thing ever. The switch from just meeting their basic needs to now starting to interact with them is underway and it's amazing. I am so totally in love with these 2 little ones which is why I'm ok admitting now that it took me a bit longer to bond with them. I think having them in the special care nursery for those initial 12 days made that initial bonding more difficult. Especially since it was such a work like setting for me (not only was it work-like, it was actually work. They were in the hospital in which I work. Even while visiting them as a "mom", I was always aware of the other kids and what was going on with them. Whenever the monitor of the baby who had apnea went off, I wanted to run over and stimulate her to breath thus making bonding a bit more difficult with Bennett and Kate).
I am breastfeeding Bennett and Kate some which has really helped me with bonding. I'd do it more but during the day their eating seems to coincide with Hudson's and I don't want to alter his schedule/routine. At night, I'm afraid that they won't get enough and thus wake up more at night (something I know R would not be happy about). So usually it's in the evenings when the babies seem like they want to cluster feed that I'll nurse one of them (or both of them) to comfort them. I also contribute daily to their pumped breast milk. My supply is actually up some. The LC that we saw after Bennett and Kate were born suggested that I up the domperidone to 30mg three times per day up from the 10mg three times per day that I was previously doing. It seems to have helped. I'm sure the added stimulation from Bennett and Kate is also driving up the supply as is Hudson's improved latch following his frenulectomy (clipping of his tongue tie).
Well my time at the pump (and hence the computer) is up now - hopefully it won't be another month before I make it back.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Nice to see you back! I'm so glad your supply is back up! That's awesome! i am on the same dose of domperidone as you are- that is some good stuff! That's so great that you are able to help BF Bennett & Kate, too. They are all so beautiful. Keep up the good work!
Congrats on the breast feeding. It really is such an accomplishment and to think that you are feeding 3! Super woman! It took me a little longer to bond w/ Layne too and I think a part of that was her being in the nursery. It was not a good feeling and I was worried that something was wrong with me. But now I love her more than life!!! Apparently, there is no formula for parenting.....they are all different and your relationship with them is different. Such a lesson to learn. Everyone looks great and adorable. Keep up the blogging!!!!
I was going to tell you that you needed to change your blogger name. SOOOO glad I didn't :)
I think we come home expecting to love the next ones with the exact amount of love as the love we have for the one at home. You don't realize that you had to FALL in love over and over again with that little person. In a year you will be AMAZED at how much more you love them all. Seems insane I know. Just you wait. ;)
I can't wait to pick your brain with the breastfeeding questions in about 2 months. PLEASE tell me you will still be blogging so that I can. Oh and (ahem) please answer my questions when I ask them, aye ? :)
Glad you came back, even if it was just to tell us not to expect you very often! I have been keeping up with your family through your wife's blog (she rocks, by the way, in case you hadn't noticed), seems like the whole family is doing fabulous...even if you are too busy to blog.
Just stop back whenever you can, we'll still be here.
KJ - I'll try to answer your questions, if not I'm sure will jump right in and answer them. ;)
So glad to hear from you! Your commitment to breast feeding is impressive. I'm also hoping to start on domperidone soon...it's hard to constantly be stressed about milk supply, right?! I'll look forward to any updates you may have along the way.
congrats on 7 months!! we are at 10.5 and still going strong. my goal for a year that once seemed so far away is almost around the corner and i admit i will miss it!
I still read and check to see if you posted. I hope you'll keep the blog open if just to give us little updates here and there. :) I can't believe Hudson is 7 months old already! Wow!!! And the twins are already 11 weeks...time flies!
welcome back! you guys sure have your hands full but you make it look easy in the pictures. congrats on the breast feeding, i did it for 14.5 months so certainly understand the committment, although have no concept of juggling 3. i hope your last week off doesn't fly by too quickly!
Post a Comment