I don't think I have any readers that don't read R's blog, but just in case, for those that don't know, the Kate and Bennett were born on 3/28. R developed HELLP syndrome (low platelets, high blood pressure, protein in her urine, fluid in her lungs and severe swelling) and the babies had to come out. Surprisingly her uterus would have kept them in longer had the doctors not given them in eviction notice, effective immediately. They were born just minutes shy of officially being 34 weeks. Kate and Bennett were in the special care nursery (not as high of acuity as the NICU) for 12 days. They both required some nasal CPAP followed by nasal canula and both required phototherapy for jaundice but after a few days there, they were basically just "feeders and growers". It was weird having my babies in the nursery. Hanging out there felt like I was working. My ears were constantly perked up and I knew what was going on with all the babies in the unit at any given time. I even went over to stimulate a baby once during an apnea event (I was closer than the nurse). I know the nursery can be a very scary place for parents with all the wires and tubes hooked up to each baby and all the monitors and alarms but for me, it was like being at work. Actually the babies were in the nursery at the hospital that's attached to my clinic, so really I was at work. Once R got out of the hospital and my MIL came to help with Hudson, I actually did go back to work (I rather take the time off when the babies are home since my time off is limited).
The babies did finally come home on Wednesday evening. While it's great having them at home, I miss them being here. I'm still working until next Tuesday (when my MIL goes back home). I liked knowing that they were just upstairs. I would come in to see them before clinic, run up at lunch and at the end of my day. Now I miss them. I know they're at home with their momma and gamma and that soon enough I'll be home, it's just my selfishness that wants to see them now.
The babies are wonderful! For being preemie twins they are absolutely adorable. I want to squeeze them tight and love all over them like I do with Hudson, but at 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 pounds, I have to be a bit more careful with them than I am with Hudson.
While the babies were in the hospital they got both R's and my breast milk (well initially they wouldn't let me give them my breast milk since I wasn't the bio mother until I had some lab tests - don't even get me started on this. I was livid. I will be writing a hospital policy on this so that it doesn't happen to anyone else - I don't have the energy to go into how pissed off I was that my babies were getting formula while breast milk was available all while waiting for stupid labs to come back, labs that are irrelevant for breastfeeding). Now that they are home and R's milk is in they are pretty much just getting her milk. She's now producing more than I am. Thank god that we both don't have supply issues. I'm so grateful that she's able to produce a decent amount of milk, yet I'm a bit jealous. No matter what I do, my supply still sucks. The domperidone hasn't really helped. Domperidone increases prolactin levels so I guess my issue isn't due to low prolactin. The LCs really don't have any other suggestions for me. I'm hoping that being home with all 3kids will increase my supply. I do plan on putting the babies to breast once they're strong enough to do so without burning too many calories, even if they're not getting much from me, I think it'll help me bond with them.
In the meantime, I've decided to start Hudson on foods a little sooner. We started him at 5 months instead of the 6 months that I usually recommend for exclusively BF babies. I rather give him food than formula (obviously if he needs formula, like if my boobs totally shrivel up and dry out then yes, he'll get formula - I'm not so militant that I would let him starve). He seems to be enjoying eating. I started out with rice cereal since I want him to get the iron and I'm not yet giving him meats. Next week I'll start adding fruits and veggies. I'm planning on making all of his food - for the love of god, when did I become so crunchy? I'm so pro breastfeeding, I like to wear my baby in a moby wrap and now I'm making his food - I surprise even myself!
One saving grace in my low milk suppy problem is that while there might not be much milk from my boobs, what I do get is high calorie. We have a creamatocrit machine at work that tests the calorie content of milk. I had to give samples at 5, 10 and 15minutes of pumping. Granted there wasn't much 15 minute milk but there was some and boy is it high calorie. Keep in mind that standard formula is 20 calorie/oz. My 5 minute milk is 23.4 cal, my 10 minute milk is 28.7 cal and my 15 minute milk is 31.9 cal. You can't even make formula that concentrated. I guess this explains why Hudson's not wasting away with my little milk supply.
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



15 comments:
Congratulations, Mama! I am so glad your twins are safely here, and your family is complete.
And no, I actually don't read R's blog, I would love to but have no idea where it is.
congrats on the new ones! i saw the pics on R's blog and can't get over how gorgeous Hudson is. the twins are adorable as well and i'm sure will just get cuter but his eyes and expressions are just priceless. i would definitely look out for the Gap casting call!
Hey, I'd love to read R's blog if you'd be so kind as to post the URL... I love reading up on you guys :)
You are amazing that you are still pushing the breastfeeding. I hope that once you settle in a little it will help.
Don't feel jealous...R's body is supposed to be making more milk, she's feeding 2 babies.
I make milk like you do. Imagine me trying to feed 2 babies. NICE right ?
I have NO idea how I am going to be able to feed the next two. Low supply...3 other children to care for and 2 new babies. I'm going to give it the old college try though. :)
I refuse to beat myself up about it like I did with the others...AND I'm not paying the money for the domperidone when it's the same price as formula. nope. not doing it. so don't give me shit about it. ;)
I can imagine how hard it is now that they are home. That is so sad that you can't just keep them there with you for a few more weeks.
GORG-US kids. absolutely DARLING !
Something about having babies made me crunchy too!!! You should try Super Baby Food....it is an awesome book about making your own baby food. I was my bible for the 1st year of Syd's life.
I'm glad the babies are here and doing well. I had a feeling after reading the last entry that's what happened. I'm new here but have totally loved reading your story. I would enjoy reading R's blog but have no idea how to get to it. Congratulations on all your babies and I love their names! You guys are awesome.
Here is the link to my blog -
http://uterusx2.blogspot.com/index.html
I've got more time to blog than my wife!! I've now taken to blogging while I pump! LOL
Thank you for the link to R's blog, can't wait to read "her side of the story".
With three adorable little ones, I know your attentions will be focused on them, and that is a wonderful thing not to be missed. But don't forget to take time for just the two of you, to remember that you are in love. Yes, you have three beautiful children, but you two were here FIRST.
Adore your children, but love each other. That may sound obvious, but wait til they're all teething....
Congratulations! Your children are all beautiful.
What exciting times for you all!
Damn, lady, that is some seriously sustaining breastmilk you have there! It's like the krypton of milk apparently! Can't wait for you and R to be home alone for a while with all three of your babies. How long will you have off? You two are doing a fantastic job. I can't imagine, at all, that it's easy, but you two seem to have the best outlook and sense of perspective. hope you get some time together soon!
Congratulations! You have 3 beautiful babies. You mentioned that you will be nursing the twins but will Carey try to nurse Hudson?
Don't feel bad about starting solids early. Our boy was also so interested in our food that we had to give it a go. As for making your own - it's super easy. Let him guide you as to the texture. I find bottled food tastes dreadful. Nothing like good old home cooking. And it's better for them.
As for your supply, I think we should be jealous of you - wow that is some mean milk you got there. I didn't stand a chance really. Although I maintain that if Ant let me pump it would've gone better - alas! maybe next time ;)
Your family is gorgeous and I agree, try to save some time for just the two of you before you get swollowed by it all.
we started our son on solids at 5.5 months. we tried to hold out until 6 months but he was nursing around the clock and always acting hungry. he eats everything with gusto. :) thankfully my supply has been great after a few hiccups in the beginning. i hope when it's dp's turn to carry that her supply is just as good. if we do get pregnant with twins, i will resume lactation duties so we can both feed them. i applaud your determination to keep breastfeeding hudson. we are approaching the 9 month mark and i'm wondering how hard it will be to wean him at 12 months...!
oh and we make all his foods too. we used annabel karmel's books. it's so eary to do and it all tastes so much nicer than the gerber stuff. as a result, he has had a vast variety of fruits and veggies.
First of all, congratulations!
Also, what's R's blog? We've been following yours for some time, but we don't know hers.
Best wishes,
Julianna & Rachel (formerly Two Georgia Mommies)
Our email: pineneedleroad@aol.com
Our blog: Capricorn Baby
Post a Comment