Thursday, February 28, 2008

Happy conception birthday!

One year ago today at this very moment I was being inseminated! I did it during my lunch break. I just glanced at my schedule from last year and I didn't even cancel any patients. I had my 12:00 patient come early so that I could leave here, make it to my RE's office across town by 12:30 so that he could do the insemination during his lunch hour. I laid there for 20 minutes and then I made it back to my office for my 1:30 patient. Little did my afternoon patients know but I had a uterus full of sperm. heheh. And who would have ever thought that it would have worked? After several failed IVF's and some dead baby mishaps, I really never thought that squirting a little bit of sperm into my girly parts would result in a baby, a real live baby that actually survived my uterus. Amazing!!! I still look at Hudson and can't believe that I made him.

Another little amazing fact is that Hudson slept through the night last night for the first time ever (from 8pm to 7am)! I'm not sure how I feel about this. I woke up in the middle of the night quite engorged and had to pump to relieve the discomfort. I mean there's no sense in me getting used to sleeping through the night with 2 more coming. Also I make barely enough milk for Hudson, so I don't want to go all night without emptying my boobs - I need to drain them to keep up my supply. Who knows, maybe it was a fluke and he'll go back to waking up tonight. If not, I'll just pump every night for the next 2 months until the twins are born and then I'm sure I'll just feed them.

7 comments:

Irma said...

Last sentence struck me... are you saying you plan to supplement R's feedings, or you will be the chief breastfeeder for all three? Not that it's any of my business!

(Oh, and Happy Conception Day!)

lothyn said...

Hooray for sleep in any form!

I just came across your blog a few days ago, and am chuffed about finding another infertile-lesbian-doctor-mama!

I am *super* interested in hearing about your future cross-nursing experiences. (at which point, I fully realize, you will have zero time for writing to the citizens of blogland at large). I'd even love to hear about your plans thus far for future adventures in lactation!

Steph said...

While I would love to produce enough milk for all 3, there's just no way. I barely produce enough for Hudson. Not to mention I can't imagine how time consuming it would be to BF 3 kids (although I know Karen at My Perky Ovaries did it for the first few months). I will however be helping out with feeding the twins. I figure we have 3 kids and 4 boobs, between the 2 of us we should be able to breast feed them all. Hopefully R's bigger girls will produce more than mine (I know they say that size doesn't matter but really I have to think that having 3 times the amount of breast tissue has to produce more milk).

K J and the kids said...

Happy day to all of you !

I have a friend who's boobs are and can be referred to as jugs. I mean it...they are HUGE !
She couldn't breast feed ANY of her 3 kids. Her husband said once...you can't feed them with THOSE.
Size really doesn't matter, but I have a feeling that R is going to knock it out.

I sure hope they don't have nipple confusion ;)

Lizzie said...

I can't believe it didn't occur to me 'til just now that the two of you will each be able to, at times, feed all three of your children. SO EXCITING. I continue to be so happy for your family. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Whooohoooo Hudson!!!!!!!!!!!! I told you guys he'd get to sleeping through the night - AND WHY EXACTLY DID R NOT MENTION THIS IN HER BLOG???????????? TUT TUT TUT...

Isn't it amazing how they day you were inseminated and didn't spend the rest of the day obsessing about what was happening in your uterus, it actually worked.

I still look at my boy and can't believe that he's mine. I've never gotten ANYTHING right in my life. So now to get this right and so well done at that - amazing!!!!!! So yeah, I know the feeling so well. It will hit you when you clearly gets excited to see you and you are the only one who can calm him. That is also such an amazing feeling.

As for boob size - forget it. Ant has little bee stings and fed her boy for 18 months. I couldn't get it right for 18 days and I'm a prized cow. OK I have inverted nipples and only got help when it was too late, but I don't think I had enough milk anyways - Shaun was always hungry after a "feed".

As if you weren't close enough - this co-feeding is going to bring you all sooooo much closer. You guys (sorry girls) are really my heroes. YOUR GO GIRLS!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy conception day!!