Tuesday, October 30, 2007

hormones and worries

I can't believe that in less than 17 days our baby boy will be here. Yesterday morning I was driving to work and the boy was enjoying his sugar rush from my glass of juice with breakfast. Since he was awake I thought this was a good time to talk to him. I told him that I was looking forward to meeting him and that in less than 3 weeks he would be in my arms. This is when pregnancy hormones took over and the flood gates opened.

It all seems so surreal. After over 3 year of trying to conceive, the thought that we're going to have a baby in our home in less than a month is almost too hard to believe. I know that there are signs that should make me believe - for one I have a huge belly. Everywhere I go, people comment about me being "about to pop" or ask if I have twins. In addition to having a big belly, I also have something in the belly that moves often - again that should be another clue. We also have a nursery set up, a car seat in the car and a pack-n-play set up in our room. Yet I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around having a real life baby of my own.

Not to mention, I'm still so afraid that something will go wrong. Yes, I know I'm almost 37 weeks but I still worry. My best friend from med school had a good friend whose baby died in utero the night before her scheduled c-section. So now I think of that all the time and it freaks me out. Agg, I'd like to think that I'll be ok when he's out but we all know that that brings with it a whole set of other worries - like SIDS.

Speaking of freaking out - I got some books on raising multiples from the library. OMG they are totally scaring me. If R goes to 36 weeks, we'll have a 5 month old and a set of twins - holy shit!
Most of the moms in the books have twins, there are very few stories of moms with triplets or more. And these twin moms make the first year out to be hell. And these are supposed to be books to help new moms survive.

12 comments:

Eliza said...

OMG Steph, I'M verklempt over here...I remember when I first found your blog, and read your archives, and then you got pregnant with The Boy and I was SO HAPPY for you. Even though I felt silly for being so invested in a stranger's life, LOL! I have two who are fourteen months apart and I won't lie, it was pure hell the first year of the baby's life (especially since the baby is chronically ill, but even if everybody had been perfectly healthy it still would've been hell)...but now there are moments, like when the three-year-old is losing their mind and the two-year-old BRINGS THE CHILD'S BLANKIE OVER to help soothe their sibling (cue me melting and kissing everybody on the head)...you'll get through it, and when the dust settles after the initial adjustment period, I think you'll be happy things worked out the way they did. That said, I don't envy y'all that first year one little bit :(

K J and the kids said...

The first year is HELL. If anyone tells you that it's not they are just trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Like everything else...you will get through it and also like child birth...you will forget the pain :)

I can't believe you only have 17 days :)

Anonymous said...

i know exactly how you are feeling - i still worried when i was 39 weeks! we had 2 trips to l&d because i was worried he wasn't moving as much as usual. everything turned out fine. it will be fine for you too. :)
i don't worry so much now that he's here.

Anonymous said...

My 2 are 17 mos apart and I think it's all in the approach. If you can always show them level emotions and keep game face on, and kind of hold off your meltdowns for when they're asleep, I think it goes better. They sense anxiety like astute 4-legged creatures. I also think close is better than spaced out, because you get through diapers and bottles and everything in one fell swoop.

That said, babyhood and toddlerhood aren't just times to be "gotten through", but enjoyed! You will figure it all out, and you will just love it and cherish all the experiences. Each developmental stage is so amazing, it's like you discovered smiling. No, really! No other kid ever smiled like this, this early, this big!!!

They take your breath away, these kids. I promise.

f said...

CONGRATS!!!!! He is soooooo beautiful and adorable. You both look great. Welcome to the world, little one!

anna said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Hudson is gorgeous...you sure made a healthy, beautiful little baby! I'm so excited for you!

anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacey said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't wait to hear about your son's birth and see pictures!!!!

R said...

So excited for you!! Can't wait to see the pics of the little one :)
Thanks for reminding me that there is hope!!

Em said...

Congratulations!!

Evillesweeny said...

You'll make it! I stumbled across your blog, and I am totally impressed. I have a set of twins and a son that are 10.5 months apart. Just keep chanting "I am the grown up" and "this too shall pass" and you'll make it!! (And start looking now for a triple-jogging stroller on Craigslist. Trust me =))

Congratulations!!

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

How exciting! Its so great to hear a success story in the infertility world! Congrats on your (many) little ones!