Wow, what a week this has been. First my fall and hospital admission and then the news about the twins. I kept having contractions, especially Tuesday night (hmmm...that was the day we found out about the twins - wonder if that had anything to do with it). I was kind of freaking out since in the hospital I was having a lot more contractions on the monitor than I was aware of, so if I was having a bunch of contractions, I knew there were probably more that I wasn't feeling. Had I followed the advice on my hospital discharge paperwork, I would have headed into L&D based on the number of contractions. However, we all know that doctors make the worse patients, so I decided to sleep on it. Mornings are usually better in terms of less contractions so that made me happy. However walking from my clinic to my lunch meeting made me start contracting again. They're not painful contractions, just my abdomen getting really hard.
Again, in my, I'm a doctor and thus I think I'm invincible, yet I know I should call my doctor kind of way - I first decided to ignore it. When they couldn't be ignored, I e-mailed my doctor. For all I know she only checks her e-mail once per week - see how passive-aggressive that was of me. Turns out my doctor checks her e-mail very regularly. Within 30 minutes of my e-mail she had called me. She had me come in that afternoon to check my cervix and also do a FFN (to help reassure me that labor was not imminent).
She checked my cervix and it was good - all the good buzz words: closed, thick and high! Having her check my cervix was a bit awkward as early on in pregnancy, I had a dream about my OB. (OK this might be a good point for my mother in law to stop reading) Luckily it wasn't a full on sex dream (you know those wonderful pregnancy orgasm dreams) but in my dream R and I weren't together and R was helping me hook up with my OB. MY OB and I only made it as far as first base but I still get kind of giggly when we see her and this was the first time she has done an internal exam. What makes this all the more amusing (especially to R) is that my OB is a middle aged kind of "old school" looking lesbian. However, I've dated that type in the past (a long time ago) so I guess it should come as no surprise. Gotta love pregnancy dreams!
Today I went in for my first round of antepartum testing. On the u/s to check my amniotic fluid level, the boy is still breech. Fluid looked good! They also hooked me up to the monitors - baby was reactive (means heart rate varied appropriately) and also I didn't have any significant contractions while on the monitors. So even though I'm still contracting from time to time (especially as the day goes on), with a negative FFN, a closed cervix and everything else being reassuring, I'm not going to stress to much about it.
Friday, September 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Glad that you passed yet another round of tests.
and yes...this week is OVER :)
What a week you've had.
I've so enjoyed reading you and R's story. What an incredible ride...
Glad your contractions are easing. You poor thing must have been panicking slightly after the fall and then the twin news...holy crap.
Glad you had a fun OB dream to balance out a bit of the stress. :)
phew.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
I hope you have an absolutely perfect day...you deserve it!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Post a Comment