Monday, July 30, 2007

club membership

This past weekend I achieved another pregnancy dream. By pregnancy dream I don't mean the vivid dreams that I've been having and certainly not my orgasm dreams (nothing better than waking up in the middle of an orgasm - why does this not happen when not pregnant?). Instead I'm referring to something I've always wanted to do... pre-natal yoga.

By no means am I some yoga expert. Yes, I've done yoga before but mostly in the comfort of my living room with a DVD. However years ago I read something about prenatal yoga (something as cheesy as Melissa Etheridge's first wife meeting what would become some of their best friends in her pre-natal yoga class) and hence my fascination with one day getting to do pre-natal yoga was born. Not by any means did I think I would have a pregnant celebrity or celebrity wife in my class - it has nothing to do with that (I don't even live in a city with many celebrities). I'm not quite sure why, but for a long time, being pregnant and having a belly meant that I could go to pre-natal yoga. I guess it was part of belonging to the pregnant girl club - a club that I was beginning to think that I would never be a part of. So I found my blue mat in tucked away in the garage and off to yoga I went.

Well pregnancy yoga lived up to my expectations. It was wonderfully foo-foo without being too much. (I'm not that foo-foo of a person, so the overly foo-fooness sometimes bothers me but I can handle it small dosages). The instructor was great, except her introduction and talking about natural childbirth. She discussed her own birthing experience sans any drugs and how compared to women who don't feel anything (due to the epidural), she was better able to bond with her baby right way. I thought that was a bit judgemental. She also mentioned how this time around she'll deliver in her living room in a tub - OMG, I had to bite my tongue. I've personally seen too many nightmarish outcomes come from home births (even though the majority are fine) and I just can't imagine risking it like that.

Once we made it through introductions, the class itself was great and I definitely plan on going back. Getting back to the foo-fooness, she brought up some great points about owning one's pregnancy. This might be my only pregnancy and so I'm really trying to enjoy every minute of this. I'm going to try to keep my bitching to minimum and instead celebrate the fact that I'm growing a baby inside of me. I'm also going to pamper myself through this process which means I'm booking a pregnancy massage for later this week.

As for the boy - I think he continues to do very well. I was feeling him what felt like all day long for almost 2 weeks. Then the past 4-5 days, I think he changed positions and I almost never feel him. When I do feel him, it's much softer than it previously was. Thank god for the doppler, otherwise I would be completely neurotic and I would be abusing my doctor privileges and having daily u/s. I know he's doing ok, I just miss feeling him all day long. Hopefully soon he'll turn back around and go back to the days of constant flip flops and kicks and punches.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wanted to do the whole pre natal yoga thing too. It was a right of passage, much liek shopping in materniy stores and visiting baby stores w/o having a breakdown. I had pre natal yoga DVDs and looked into classes and instead did nothing! It was weird, since I am a gym/exercise type of person. To go from all that activity to nothing. But I could not find an ounce of motivation! Enjoy it all now because you will miss being pregnant! And being kicked! Every said that i wpuld get tired of the kicking but I never did!

anna said...

I totally understand your prenatal yoga fascination. All my friends know that if I'm ever pregnant, it's off to prenatal yoga I go... what a funny dream, huh? I'm glad someone else understands!

charlotte said...

So glad you got some joy from a long awaited pre-natal yoga class! Do you have any swimming pregnant chicks class fantasies?

K J and the kids said...

I did yoga too. In my basement with a DVD :) I SWEAR it helps with the birth. You will be a birth champ when laboring with your boy.

He's probably going through a growth spurt. They temporarily slow down. He'll be beating you up again.