Friday, January 19, 2007

And now with 2 empty uteri

R underwent her D&C yesterday. It went as well as could be expected and physically she is doing ok. I was able to be with her pretty much the entire time in the pre-op area because she would cry every time someone came by and asked her how she was. I was also able to go back to see her in the post-op area immediately (the perks of being a doctor since I was the only family member in the post-op area).

Our RE said that everything went very smoothly. He was able to recover a piece of tissue to send to pathology and for karyotyping. We hope that we'll be able to get an answer. I did ask the RE if the tissue resembled a fetus. When I had my m/c I passed a fetus in the sac. The fetus had 2 arm buds and 2 leg buds, you could make out where the eyes would develop, you could see the little nose and the open mouth. Granted I was 2 weeks ahead of R but my fear what that somehow the u/s had missed something. He assure me that there was just some tissue in the sac but that it in no way resembled a fetus.

Something that I find amusing about the entire experience is that R was apparently chatty during the procedure. They didn't use general anesthesia as first planned. Our RE had the anesthesiologist just use conscious sedation. He thought that this would lead to a much better recovery for her and I agreed. However, afterwards he casually mentioned that she "even talked during the procedure". My immediate response was to ask what she said. Apparently she just checked up on him and asked how things were going down there. I'm sure they all got a kick out that in the OR.

I still can't believe that it's over. We're not having our baby in September. Only a few more months to get pregnant or we'll completely miss out on having a baby in 2007 - another babyless year. I'm mostly numb right now. I can't cry anymore, I barely feel anything at all. Hopefully I'll have a period in the next 2 weeks and we'll start again. I don't regularly ovulate so hopefully I'll get a period when I'm supposed to and not 3 months from now. It's been a year since I had a natural cycle - in this past year I have either been pregnant, miscarrying, on birth control pills or on fertility drugs, so we'll see how this goes.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

As awful as this week is, I am glad it is over for both of you and now you can concentrate on the future. Once you stop feeling numb, of course. It is so great that you could be there in the room. Nicole couldn't come in and by the time she did, I was a mess. (by the way, I was chatty during my first D&C too. I told my doctor that I didn't like the book she rec. to me (Pregnanciy for Dummies) because I found it "pedantic and written on a fourth-grade level." I also talked about scotch. Weird.) Your year sounds like mine: I spent the entire time pregnant; miscarrying; d&c; repeat; on fertility drugs; repeat; IVF and repeat. And then it worked. And it WILL for you two, too. It must be hard to see that now (or even hear that) but know that there are so many people out here who are carrying this hope for you until you are ready to carry it yourself. I'm thinking of you both during this awful time....

Jennifer said...

Wow...I REALLY write a lot...it never seems like that much till I hit "publish."

Dee said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm glad the procedure went well. Let yourself experience this and heal. Crying is the next best thing to laughing. I'll continue checking to see how your TTC journey is progressing.

whatthef*ck said...

i cant' even offer you hope right now. that all sounds so miserable, depressing and demoralizing.

nice advantage that you could be up and running again in a few weeks but then again it could take three months for your period.. mo fo. that all just sucks.

Anonymous said...

Sending best wishes from GA, take time to grieve and I so hope that a successful 40 wks of pg is in the very near future for one of the two of you wonderful ladies.
Out of curiosity, are you going to IUI's to give your body a break or were there other reasons gleaned from your appointment w/ the RE?

Mama2BandT