Monday, October 30, 2006

National Infertility Awareness Week

I have just learned that this is national infertility awareness week. I am so glad that there is a week devoted to what I am painfully aware of already. Who the hell knows about national infertility awareness week other than a bunch of infertile women? I do strongly agree that infertility is something that we need to draw more attention to so that it's not some big secret that people are ashamed of. I openly tell everyone about my infertility problems and miscarriages as I don't give a shit that it makes people squirm a bit. It's my life and if you ask me if I have children, then you're going to get the answer (not the one you were looking for but rather my true story of why I don't have children yet). And I don't tell people for sympathy but rather because they need to hear it. Statistics show that 1 in 8 couples suffer from infertility to some degree and somewhere between 30-50(plus)% of pregnancies end in miscarriage but no one ever talks about it. Well not to worry, I'll tell you all about my infertility struggles and my m/c. I'll be your national infertility awareness week spokeswoman (Brook Shields has nothing on me). There also needs to be more done to force insurance companies to cover infertility. It's sickening that finances dictate who can have a child amongst the infertile. It's not some elective procedure like having bigger boobs so that shirts look better or a face lift so that I don't look so old.

No comments: